Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Melbourne honey flow timing, Feeding etc.  (Read 2778 times)

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
Melbourne honey flow timing, Feeding etc.
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:35:28 pm »
Hi All,

I didn't get much honey from my Melbourne hives last year and don't know if it was my beekeeping or the weather.
This year is better so far and I can see the bees out on cape weed, but I don't know whether it speeds up or slows down from here.
If there is such a things as a 'honey flow' in Melbourne, does anyone know when it is, when it would end ?
Or is it just erratic/random due to the suburban environment.

I was thinking of feeding my bees 1:1 sugar syrup next year about August to build up bee numbers of Spring honey flows.

thanks for your time everyone

Damien

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Melbourne honey flow timing, Feeding etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:08:08 pm »
It was the weather, I didn't get anything last year at all.

As for a 'honey flow', it depends a bit on what is around you. Roughly what part of Melbourne are you in? One of the guys reported red gum starting in Epping, I've got ironbark flowering out my way at the moment and it looks like the yellowbox might flower this year. The good thing about being suburban, there's almost always something flowering.

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 11:50:18 pm »
thanks for the reply. Weather was pretty bad last Summer. It just didn't seem to rain for 3 months!.
My hives are in Box Hill North.
Lots of trees and a reserve near by, but I really am no good on identifying my gum trees.
I do see some in flower though.
In a good year when do you get most of your honey ?

cheers

Damien

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:33:24 am »
You will soon get to know a few of the ones flowering now that you have an interest. See what books the library has available on identification or perhaps the local council has a handbook on the local species.

Most of my honey flow comes in spring and into summer.