Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarms and requeening  (Read 1329 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
swarms and requeening
« on: April 28, 2008, 10:54:28 pm »
One of the pics I posted is of a colony that was a swarm 2 years ago March 15.
It came from a swarm/colony that came out of the woods several years past.
I did not re queen either one. even this one (the picture looking down on the bottom board entrance) that I posted earlier.
I have not been in it this year. It is 3 deep and one medium high. If the weather permits I am going in tomorrow and see what it looks like. I am expecting to find lots of queen cells.
I will be doing a #3 on it.

O. K. for the re queening part.
When we catch a swarm we don't have any history on the colony it came from.
whether from some one else's apiary or from the wild.
So we don't know the age of the Queen, she could be a Virgin, or several years old.
We don't know if the swarm super cedes after  we hive them or not. Unless we do some very, very close
inspections in the beginning.
This is why it is advisable  to re Queen new swarms as soon as possible. Gentle them down after about 6 weeks anyhow. then you have the Queens history.
After 6 weeks "this time of year" you can forget about the old workers, they'll be gone, and the workers will have the traits from the new Queen. If by chance, and it sometimes happens, they are worse, as for gentleness goes, well, new Queen again I guess :)

I just wanted to through this down and let you all kick it around.
I have never purchased a package, I have got some new Queens, but for some reason they never do as well as the off spring from my wild stuff.
go figure.

Hope all this ranting helps some one. ;) :) doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: swarms and requeening
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:30:58 pm »
>This is why it is advisable  to re Queen new swarms as soon as possible.

But I want the genetics of the swarm.  I never requeen them unless they show undesirable traits.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: swarms and requeening
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:46:32 pm »
I could have put it different. If they are what you want use it to rear queens.
These swarms threw big swarms and made plenty honey.
I am going to break into the only one I haven't tended to this year and may make a 3 way split. Depending how it looks once I get in side.
I'll try to get some pic's and do a follow up.
doak

anything