Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varoa found in Asian honeybee swarm on cargo ship at Sydney port.  (Read 4553 times)

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
Re: Varoa found in Asian honeybee swarm on cargo ship at Sydney port.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 04:47:52 am »
I'm glad they were able to destroy the hive before any bees made it to the mainland.

I seem to remember ... isn't there some sort of quarantine zone around north Queensland to prevent Apis Cerana from coming south? That one boat from Singapore nearly moved the quarantine line about 3000km south overnight.
Jeanette

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:30 am »
Not good news, glad they found it though!
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2012/s3639182.htm?site=melbourne

scary stuff ! makes you wonder if every beekeeper in other countries has the mite or if there are areas where it hasnt spread to

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 09:06:55 am »
Thanks for the report, Paul.

Jeanette, A. cerana has already gone south through the quarantine area in QLD.  We actually saw a queenless obs hive of them at the bee meeting last week, and some videos of how to destroy them and a talk from scientists about them.  I did learn a few things.  The best part though was a human demonstration of the waggle dance.

Neil,  we are just about the only country without varroa (except in an australian owned island or two).  I am guessing antarctica doesn't have very many varroa either.  However, A. cerana is a natural host to the mite and have superior hygenic abilities and are able to live with it.  So countries naturally hosting asian honeybees or other non mellifera species really wouldn't be affected.

Lone

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 04:17:22 pm »
Thanks for the report, Paul.

Neil,  we are just about the only country without varroa (except in an australian owned island or two).  I am guessing antarctica doesn't have very many varroa either.  However, A. cerana is a natural host to the mite and have superior hygenic abilities and are able to live with it.  So countries naturally hosting asian honeybees or other non mellifera species really wouldn't be affected.

Lone

Although these asians are able to cope better they are not desirable to have here correct?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:58:59 pm »
They are harder to domesticate and produce less honey.

We have a tropical subspecies of A. cerana so there is a possibility they won't migrate all the way south; but that remains to be seen.

Lone

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 02:48:14 am »
Although these asians are able to cope better they are not desirable to have here correct?

The introduction of the Varroa mite into Australia has the potential to badly affect existing apiaries. In 2007, the Australian honey industry estimated that honey bee products were worth about $80 million per year to the economy. However, this pales beside their estimate of pollination services - $3.8 billion per year.

I don't know how much of an impact the Varroa mite would have. Reports vary from increased hive management costs to complete destruction of apiaries.
Jeanette

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 02:56:58 am »
The best part though was a human demonstration of the waggle dance.

I would love to see that!  :-D
Jeanette

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 04:01:57 am »
Jeanette,

I think rawfind was referring to having asian bees here, which we do already.  There is no question of whether varroa is undesirable.  We will bounce back as other countries have but it will be a pain in the meantime.

And yes it was a good waggle dance.  Scientists are not always boring.

Lone

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 01:28:21 pm »

I don't know how much of an impact the Varroa mite would have. Reports vary from increased hive management costs to complete destruction of apiaries.

That destruction has happened nowhere. It makes much work to professional beekeepers and makes much losses of hives.

What varroa makes is that it kills quickly feral beehives, and Australia have those lots.

Varroa control is laborous in countries where colonies have not brood break.

Language barrier NOT included

anything