Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter Bear  (Read 2323 times)

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
Winter Bear
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:55 am »
Well i let my Gard down, I have all my yards with Electric fences and most I put bait on the wire but being that it is winter I haven't.
I guess some male bears are on the move, the one that hit mine took three posts and barbwire and knock over four boxes. Two where three med high and the other was four med. The box looked like a deck of cards, he knock them off the stands back words and each super slid about have way off, I guess he started to go through and got shock and busted in and run into the box's and ran back out.
I put them back together, just hope the Queens are OK.

So watch out for the winter Bears!!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Winter Bear
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:20:23 am »
I can feel you on this one! I just lost 48 hives to one of those bastards...put me back a year!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »
I really feel for you, with all the stuff out there that is killing our bee's we sure don't need the bears, they have a lottery here in MD and in my way of thinking its a way for the DNR to make money.They need to have a open season for everyone and shoot a bunch, they are not pressured and have little fear of people.

Offline Greg

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:44:01 pm »
Can you get a nuisance permit to take him out?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:04:15 pm »
A good dog works well at keeping wildlife at bay.   My pup has been keeping all my animals safe.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:43:15 pm »
The wild life Dept. of Massachusetts tell me the state got about 3,500 Bear and about a 1,000 or so DO NOT go to sleep at all in the winter.  

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08:56 am »
Depredation permits are indeed available in may states for those engaged in agricultural pursuits. In fact, I have participated in depredation activities in commercial minnow/goldfish operations in the past. You must also realize...YOU WILL NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY UNLESS YOUR INCOME DEPENDS UPON THE AGRICULTURAL ENDEAVOUR...in other words hobby beeks or "sideliners" (you got another "real" job) would probably not qualify. Also, other countermeasures must first be taken to thwart the nuisance animals' activities. In beekeeping with bears, at minimum, you would most likely have to have electric fences deployed unless you could prove it was economically infeasible (agricultural requirements and scale would be the factors).

Black bears fall under STATE game laws (unless on federal land) and would vary from state to state. The activities I know about were regarding nuisance animals at the FEDERAL level and those standards are much higher. The last thing anyone needs to be "caught" doing is taking any game out of season. Also, if you're going to "do it", I would suggest never discussing the issue and any countermeasures in any forums. Wildlife laws and investigations are no different than other criminal investigations, in fact, many times the legal thresholds wardens and wildlife investigators have to meet are LOWER than those of other law enforcement agents.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:22:40 am »
I just like the fact that I was out target praticing and the bear ran across at the time I shot looking at the target true a scope so I never saw it running thru. Works for me. :-X  accidents happen and called immediately

John

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:30:33 pm »
I went into my yard a week ago and thought a bear had been in for a visit.  Seven hives scattered all over the place.  Then I got to looking and there were no frames left in the boxes that would have had honey in them.  A few brood frame were left in place and a couple of the covers were were put back.  No frames or pieces of frames were anywhere to be found.  Three glass feeder jars were also gone.  I did find a pair of socks, two MacDonalds drink cups and a couple of beer cans.  The chain on the gate was in place but the lock had been busted.
I figure my "bear" walked on two feet and drove a pickup.
I have a trail camera waiting for them to come back.  It's probably a good thing I'm not allowed to own a gun anymore
Regards
Joe

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:26 pm »
Bummer Joe! One time I came into a remote bee yard and found two hives without covers and missing honey frames. I followed the footprints about 50yds or so and found a single flip-flop. after another few yards I found the other. A few more yards and there were the honey frames. I figure the thief got gust so far before the bees tore into him :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907