Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Easy Made Bee Trap  (Read 8841 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Easy Made Bee Trap
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:21:17 pm »

Got the idea from another trap is saw on the internet and decided to take some old plastic potting plants. Drilled a hole thru the top of the plywood and ran a rope thru both and knotted the bottom to hold the pot. Gonna place five this week in some spots around other large hives in old buildings and around the bee yards. Only down fall is the size. Looking for some 3 gal pots for some bid swarm grabs  :-D
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Easy Made Bee Trap
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:54:30 pm »
Easy enough!  Are you going to put any bait in there?  Make sure it's out of the direct sun to avoid potential overheating.  Let us know how it goes, the proof will be in the pudding.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:04:09 pm »
Make sure you use a top that is wood.  Otherwise you will find that condensation is a big problem.  Made a few like that with 5 gallon buckets.  They work but they are wet with condensation if the top is plastic. 
The bees

The condensation is considerable!!!
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:11 pm »
May be easy to build,  but not so easy to move into a hive :(
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »
Didn't want to bust his bubble but you and I both know what's in store when this trap hits its first swarm.
So he gets to learn trapping and cut outs all in one shot :evil:
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:20:19 pm »
I like 5 frame nucs hung in trees for traps. 

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:27 pm »
I like a 10 frame deep in a tree. Just a pain to get down.

Offline megs_westaus

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:27 pm »
I can't see how this could be at all challenging to transfer into a hive? Anybody care to explain rather than just hint at how difficult it would be?

Would you not just cut the rope that attaches the top board to the pot, knock any bees attached to the board straight into the hive and similarly upend the pot and shake out any bees remaining in it? Where is the difficulty?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:36 pm »
You will have comb in the trap within a few days. If you don't find the swarm within a week your dealing with a cutout situation.  Better to hang a nuc as a trap with frames in place.  Then just transfer frames into hives. 
I have done both and the trap with frames is best
Bailey

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:22:46 pm »
Already experienced at cutouts and thought of the difficulty in the transfer but close enough to check regular. Saw the ones made of composite material that is similar to what I made. The top is of plywood also and can remove the rope pulled down easy enough and will let you all know if I succeed. Set a couple framed traps last year without success and to bulky.Thanks for the replies.
Blanc
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:47 pm »
Traps need bait.  What are you using for lure?

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »
Using that good ole lemon grass oil Bailey!  ;)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:58 pm »
You will have comb in the trap within a few days.

If not within hours.   Why let their hard work building comb go to waste.   Let them get started immediately building comb they can keep.  Framed swarm traps can be build for a couple bucks and are well worth it.  http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,31604.msg257257.html#msg257257

Not to mention they look a little small volume wise.  

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 09:11:00 am »
I learn my lesson on traps. No more traps that end up in a cut out. I was doing sana tube ones. Why lower your chances with maybe a  lost queen, destroying brood set them back when you put them in a normal hive. Over the years % wise I have had poor luck with cut outs or swarms making it the next year. If not failing in that year
David
My-smokepole

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 10:01:27 am »
That's why I hang nucs.  Easy transfer to hives. Reload trap and send it right back up the tree!
Bailey

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:27 am »
Well all I have to say is thanks for all the encouragement guys!  :mrgreen:  :?
 :-D Blanc

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:39 am »
Well all I have to say is thanks for all the encouragement guys!  afro  huh
 grin Blanc

It is hard to see a ray of sunshine in these posts.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 11:08:40 am »
Better to take your lumps now, rather than later!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:37:07 am »
I prefer to use other peoples houses/sheds/barns etc. for my swarm traps :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 12:31:32 pm »
Not trying to be a downer there blanc.  Just have done the trap and cutout thing before and try to always find faster and easier ways. 
Sorry if I have sounded like I'm discouraging your ideas.  Just know that I have been there and done that and don't want to return to that method. 
Your idea will work.
Bailey.