Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Propolis  (Read 9234 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Propolis
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:50:04 pm »
My son wants to try to use propolis in making some kind of energy bars.  I've told him how sticky it is to deal with.  My question is how would you handle propolis to eat?  I'm thinking it has to be dried and crushed - does that sound like it will work?  I think heat of any kind would ruin some of the properties.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Propolis
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:34:23 pm »
I've seen it in pill form.  Not sure how it is made.  Check out Draper's Apiary you'll find propolis stuff under the honey bee products link.

I've tasted it once.  It was scrapings from one of my hives.  It tasted like dookie....to put it mildly.   :-X
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:49:20 pm »

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:44:26 am »
From the propolis Cindi sent me I made a tincure. With using white Tequilla and then strainged it  several times through 2 layers of coffee filters. And then bottled it in little brown bottles with dropper tops. I was able to make 3/4 quart.

Angi

Make sure you heat it up to get the wax out of it. Otherwise it will be really waxy. You can dry it in a dehydrator and then run it through a grinder or food processor.

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:46:33 am »
You can also after you get the wax out place it in the freezer and then run it through a food mill or a coffee bean grinder.

Angi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 08:59:03 am »
Thanx for all of the suggestions!  Angi, I have a food dehydrator, that may be the ticket.  My son has big ideas of coming up with a propolis-infused energy bar.  We'll see what he comes up with once the hives can be opened and some propolis harvested.

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 09:18:33 am »
Propolis is a composition largely of saps and tars of various trees, bushes, etc.
Most tars and saps are oil and alcohol based.  I'm not very sure about how well you will dry propolis in a dehydrator. In fact, you would be slightly heating it which I would think would make it tacky.
My best results in handling proplis has been frozen. 

I would try to draw off the wax first and then work with a frozen product to pulverize it (I like the coffee bean grinder idea (might make your cup of Joe a little stickier :shock:).  By first heating it remove the wax, you also blend the varieties of proplis too (better consistancy). I wouldn't get carried away with the heat, it really doesn't take much to turn it into varnish. :-P  And too much heat will give you a nice fire too. :evil:

Really however, propolis isn't really an energy product. It is more of an pro-botic. 
So it may not help you bike that last mile, but it could help you keep from catching a bug biking in the rain. I can contest that its great for dental infections.

A friend in Maine has derived his own formula to wear as perfume as he works his hives.
Claims he never gets stung (or maybe just stung less...)
Crazy fool, I think the bees just think he smells like a 'tree' and 'leaves him alone'. (Bad Bad Bad Pun.)

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 09:31:21 am »
Thanx, Jeff, that helps even more.  He's interested in the health aspect of the propolis, maybe I should have called it a health bar rather than an energy bar. 

My coffee grinder is never used for coffee, no one here drinks it.  I grind herbs, flax seed, etc. in it.  I'll see about getting another one for his experiments.  I'll let you all know what develops.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 12:04:31 pm »
Ann, freeezing definitely, and maybe use a mortar and pestle?  Before it thaws....have a wonderful, beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 01:30:31 pm »
  It tasted like dookie....to put it mildly.   :-X

What the heck is dookie?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 01:41:34 pm »
I know what a dookie is, now what I really want to know is why do you know what a dookie tastes like?  :shock: :? :evil:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 03:38:11 pm »
  It tasted like dookie....to put it mildly.   :-X

What the heck is dookie?

A dookie is another name for those strange droppings that come from the back side of mammals.  :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 06:08:04 pm »
If you freeze it and run it through a blender it turns to powder.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 06:57:08 pm »
I know what a dookie is, now what I really want to know is why do you know what a dookie tastes like?

Aye yi yi...  :oops:

Rest assured, no personal experiences had with this one...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 07:35:01 pm »
I know what a dookie is, now what I really want to know is why do you know what a dookie tastes like?

Aye yi yi...  :oops:

Rest assured, no personal experiences had with this one...

Hmm, no "fear factor/survivor/man vs wild " experience there?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 09:04:12 pm »
Hmm, no "fear factor/survivor/man vs wild " experience there?

No way.  That is extreame taken 5 steps further.  Man VS Wild is a pretty cool show by the way.  Unfortunately for me, I think I would starve to death.  There's no way I'm drinking water from elephant poo.  I'm afraid the most exotic food I've ever eatten is conk.   :shock:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 11:54:27 pm »
What no KiKi?  Those huge water beatles of New Guinea are considered the Escargot of the South Pacific. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 01:19:35 pm »
If you freeze it and run it through a blender it turns to powder.

Michael, are you sure?   I heard that dookie was not very nice.  Why would you put it through a blender to turn to powder  :shock: :? :-D :-D :-D  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, watching out for dookies!!!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 01:28:52 pm »
!!!  :shock: !!!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 02:31:10 pm »
>I heard that dookie was not very nice.

Dookie?

> Why would you put it through a blender to turn to powder

So you can mix it with food or put it in capsules for food supplements.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything