Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First attempt at a trap out....I have questions.  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Chanticleer48

• House Bee
First attempt at a trap out....I have questions.
« on: June 16, 2014, 04:35:37 pm »
I am about to attempt my first trap out on a hive about 15 ft up in a live oak in a knot hole....I have a couple of questions and hope to get some wisdom from you veterans.

- Will 1/4 inch hardware cloth be small enough for the cone?

- Do I have to place a frame of brood and a frame of honey in the hive to draw the bees?

Thanks in advance.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: First attempt at a trap out....I have questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »
No, 1/4 will not work. The bees will go through it.

All your questions are answered here.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html

A frame with eggs is all that is required.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »
Robo, I've been reading the old thread started by Iddee where he lists all the info on trapouts.  In what was the last posting on " materials you'll need," you told an Australian beekeeper he'd have to move the bees at least two miles away from the trapout.  Has your thinking on this changed since you wrote that? 

I read on Michael Bush's website that you could move a hive any distance (more than two feet and less than two miles).  I followed his directions this spring, moved a hive two blocks and was very successful.  I had to add a third deep and a super to the hive this past weekend to give them some room because I was afraid they'd swarm.  Not wanting to argue, but just wondering if you've tried doing it MB's way and what you think.  I can dig up a link or to his site if you're not familiar with what he said on the subject.

I have a friend with a situation where a trapout would be perfect, but he's reluctant to try anything new, so I'm reading everything I can in case I have the opportunity to try it.  Your contributions on that previous thread were very helpful, so I definitely am not being critical.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »
I do a lot of Trap Outs by the instructions given by Iddee.
#8 hardware cloth is what I use for the funnel.
And a Frame of EGGS is the key to them making a new queen.
The brood in the frame will just lock the bees in the hive.
Remember that high up the box will be 10 times heavier to bring down than putting it up.
But if you follow Iddee's instructions to the T you'll be successful.
I have 13 trap outs going now and 18 more to set up.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

anything