Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Please tell me what is up!  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
Please tell me what is up!
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:50:07 pm »
I inspected the my hives today and this is what I found. Hive #1

This is Hive #2, they seem to be doing fine.

Thanks for looking!
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Please tell me what is up!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:07:48 pm »
laying workers.  look at 3 and the last picture for that 1st hive.  you can see the eggs laid on the sides of the cells.

how big (boxes full) is your second hive?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:49:35 pm »
Thanks KathyP, thats what I suspected. Hive #2 has had at least one round of new bees but is still only one hive large hive box with about 6 frames done or mostly done.  Question now is would it be a good idea to combine the two and add a second hive box? I saw no queen cells in hive #1.
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:59:20 pm »
I agree with Kathy and will add, The 2nd hive is also queenless. It should have 2 or 3 frames of capped brood.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:14:22 pm by iddee »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:18:55 pm »
Iddee, Hive #2 should have had a good sized emerging of brood within the last couple of days, and I think I saw the queen (although I am new) Also, hive #2 for the first time did not swarm me when I opened it up.  They have lots of nectar and seem organized and busy.  For what it is worth.  Should I consider combining the two hives?  I aw no queen cells on hive #1.

Thanks!
Cruachan!

Highlander   

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:40:04 pm »
Highlander, I would agree with Kathy and iddee, you have laying workers.  Looks like all the brood in hive one is drone, and didn't see any brood in hive two.  Last year there was a swarm I caught and put in a hive, two weeks or so latter I checked and the workers were as busy as bees , but there was no brood.  Got a new queen the next day and then bees everywhere.  Good luck to you and your bees

Joe

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 11:17:09 pm »
They may have had one hatching, but the queen laid every day until she was gone. Once you have capped brood, you have capped brood as long as you have a queen. She doesn't stop and go in the spring and summer.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 11:33:18 pm »
i shook out two hives this week because of the same thing.  they were early splits that failed.
i added open brood for 4 weeks then added caped queen cells to one after i stopped seeing eggs but they got cut down.  i got tired of dragging my other hives down trying to salvage those two. 
if you only have the two hives you need to decide if you want to steel resources from one to maybe salvage the other.  if it were me i'd probably shake them out away from the location then combine equipment and hope to make a split early in the flow. 
this has been a bad spring for everyone.  i made a couple of splits earlier this week and it's going to get back down in the 40's again tonight and tomorrow. 
this is really unseasonable for us.  i expect to find a little chilled brood in some of the hives again this week.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:02:19 am »
The pictures take me to another page but they don't display...  From the small ones, I can't tell the shape of the caps.  (drones are kix shaped).  The brood pattern is scattered (not a good sign).  Assuming drone caps and multiple eggs, I would assume laying workers...

http://bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything