Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: brood brood brood need input from Wisconsin beekeepers  (Read 1198 times)

Offline gdog

• House Bee
brood brood brood need input from Wisconsin beekeepers
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:59:29 pm »
I have five hives four of which are doing outstanding as far as brood goes have never had queens that lay this well. The other is OK I could place some frames of brood in the one to up their numbers god knows I have the brood to do it.

My question is some of the hives have low stores of honey will they begin to fill up the brood frames with honey as they hatch so they can make it through winter. They are bringing in pollen from goldenrod and what ever else is around.

How are other bee keepers in Wisconsin close to the Milwaukee area doing or other northern states doing as far as brood and honey?

Thanks for any input

Shawn
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:08:09 am by gdog »

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: brood brood brood need input from Wisconsin beekeepers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:00 am »
You're over three hundred miles south of me but you may want to consider removing any honey supers about now, if not already done.  This will encourage bees to fill any remaining cells w/ honey/pollen in preparation for winter. 

Re-arranging frames (Frame Manipulation) is also something you may want to consider.  Push majority of brood below and pull up majority of honey frames so top super is packed w/ honey and above the broodnest.  Once done and all else is going well, you'll be ready for winter wrap up.

Those brood frames your seeing are your winter bees.  Be careful sharing them this time of year.  If you have a weak hive a combine may be a better alternative to taking brood frames from a strong one.

t
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."