Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gambling on early spring. Making nucs in feb!  (Read 5802 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Gambling on early spring. Making nucs in feb!
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:22:27 pm »
First five nucs pulled from hives as well as a couple boxes of honey. 
Will probably pull more nucs and honey tomorrow. 

I have blackberry blooming. White clover blooming.  Drones flying and drone brood with purple eyes on the pupae.

Guess we will see in about 14 days!
I love making nucs!
Bailey

Gotta give moots a bit of a thank you.  He came down and helped me play in the bees today. 
And I was nice and didn't work him to death. 

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Moots

Re: Gambling on early spring. Making nucs in feb!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »

Gotta give moots a bit of a thank you.  He came down and helped me play in the bees today. 
And I was nice and didn't work him to death. 

Enjoyed it....Thanks again!  :)

I must admit, from a manual labor point of view, I thought I got off QUITE EASY!  Not that I'm complaining.  :-D

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:05:08 pm »
if you're in south la. i have to think you'll be ok.  i guess one of these crazy cold fronts could dump some ice down that way but it would probably gone in a day or two and right back up in the 70's.  i'm going to texas in a couple of weeks and i want to think i'll be doing splits when i get back.  i'm watching the sunset in the middle of ga. right now and it's still 61 degrees.  got to love an early spring.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:28:08 pm »
havent seen any drones flying yet, im a few hours west of ya but our azaleas are full bloom, its wild!

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »
Enough already!!!

We have 3 foot of frost in the ground (where there's moisture) up here.

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 10:27:33 pm »
Hey Bailey, is that oranges I see in the picture of your yard?  If it is, eat some for me.  I haven't had a ripe orange or Satsuma all winter.  I envy you those tree ripened oranges.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:14:51 am »
Its some nice oranges. My lime tree is to my back in that pic. 
 :evil:
Satsumas don't have any fruit right now. 

Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline AstroBee

• New Bee
    • Horseshoe Point Honey
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:48 am »
Yeah, I think your timing is right on. A cold snap could set you back, but I gotta believe that these should do well.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 10:50:15 am »
I have blackberry blooming. White clover blooming.  Drones flying and drone brood with purple eyes on the pupae.

I'm gonna bet that your doing the right thing. I'm well north of you and after what I saw during my first inspection of the year I think we are about a month early. Population was very large, 16 deep frames heavy with bees, lots of drones, burr comb had stuck the upper frames to the lower, upper frames full of brood in various staged of development, stores looked good pollen and capped honey around brood and outer frames of top box yet the lower chamber nearly empty except for clinging bees and uncapped nectar. Tulip Tree in full bloom, blueberries beginning to bloom and lastly red buds budding out. When I went to a local beekeepers group meeting a friend gave me the calendar for the local area monthly tasks and based on information I was able to find out about regular bloom dates I see a good month ahead of normal. I went ahead and swapped the top and bottom box location and I'm getting ready for the flow which could start in about 2 weeks. I'm going into my other hives today expecting to see the same things. Next month should be split time, Sorry I was so long winded I wish every one the best.

----------------------------Here We Go-------------------------------------------
Later,
Ray

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:53:48 am »
oranges and you bring me grape fruit; shucks put some in a hog pen and they wouldnt eat them and i dont cul much, but just ant eating something a hog refuses.
take care buddie sho looking farward to seing you soon
o did you introduce moot to the monkey?
to bee or not to bee

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 11:19:27 am »
I was going through a hive yesterday and found a hatched out queen cell. A few frames later i found a patch of eggs. I don't think they swarmed, it looked like a supersedure cell. That must mean they replaced the queen back in January, so i wouldnt have any worries in making splits now.
Who Dat!!!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 12:05:23 pm »
No bud He didn't get his monkey pass yet. 
Bailey

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 12:08:07 pm »
I expect swarms any day now.   
Next full moon should be kicking!
Bailey

Moots

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 12:12:04 pm »
No bud He didn't get his monkey pass yet. 
Bailey

Yeah Bud, I didn't rank an introduction, but I did get a couple of monkey stories....I'm working my way up slowly. LOL!  :)

Hey Bailey, did you extract what we pulled yet? Got what you needed out of it?

Moots

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 12:14:42 pm »
I expect swarms any day now.   
Next full moon should be kicking!
Bailey

Hey Bailey,
Did you realize TONIGHT is a full moon?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 01:46:57 pm »
it's the new moon (no moon). 
bailey, i'm rooting for you and jealous at the same time.  this is the first time i've really had the time and money to be as involved as i want to be in beekeeping and i'm running about 3 weeks behind you by my estimates (still about a month early from what i remember) and i'm getting anxious.

Moots

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 02:11:55 pm »
it's the new moon (no moon).  
bailey, i'm rooting for you and jealous at the same time.  this is the first time i've really had the time and money to be as involved as i want to be in beekeeping and i'm running about 3 weeks behind you by my estimates (still about a month early from what i remember) and i'm getting anxious.

10framer, thanks for the clarification...I was having coffee at my moms when I read Bailey's post and asked when was the next full moon. She pulled out a calendar and it had a solid black circle. I took that as a full moon, Oops!  :?

Anyway, it was good motivation to get moving...got my first ever swarm trap up.  :)

Moots

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 05:20:08 pm »
Got swarm trap #2 done! 

No old brood comb and only two traps...I realize that makes a catch pretty much a long shot.  But hey, if it's like fishing, at least I have a couple lines in the water now.  I figure it's a better use for my two Nucs than sitting in storage.

One's about 50 feet from where my bees are at and the other is about 1/4 mile away, in my front yard...So, they'll both be easy to take a peek at pretty much on a daily bases.  :)

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:03:07 am »
Looks good moots. I found used nuc boxes make the best swarm traps. The bee smell is permanently in it.   
Who Dat!!!

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 09:54:37 am »
moot you thaught about toting that box down fulla bees> man just flip a rope over a limb and pull the sucker up just leave the entrance kinda down olny thing you ned think about    when bees come just untie rope and let it down
to bee or not to bee

anything