Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Loss  (Read 1065 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Hive Loss
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:37:03 pm »
There is a bee keeper in our area of South Louisiana that I got honey from last year. He harvested 200 gals last year and I purchased 5 gals. I called him the other day to buy some back up honey and he said he only harvested 65 gals. He told me over the past 4 years he has lost an average of 30 percent of his hives. He has a small farm and use the bees for pollination and only sells his honey for 6 bucks a quart. He is not interested in profits for his honey but only to cover cost. You can't get no better people than this guy. I am still establishing my first year hives and will probably not harvest any from the looks of it so he will sell me 5 gals for my winter fix  :-D
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hive Loss
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 05:46:00 pm »
6 bucks a quart!   He could sell honey to China for that price.  Work out a deal to buy all his honey every year for resell. 

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: Hive Loss
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:50:03 pm »
Allen he has folks he has been selling to for years and any extra he sells to a local produce out fit which in turn sells it for 10 bucks a quart.
He let me buy 10 gals this morning because he does not like to sell the dark honey too much. He said folks like the lighter colored honey.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.