Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting started w/ foundationless.  (Read 4490 times)

Offline crowhammer

• New Bee
Getting started w/ foundationless.
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:07:52 am »
I'm a new beekeeper who isn't set in my way's yet. I've been reading about this foundationless frame method and think I'd like to give it a try. First in my honey supers. Than, if that goes well, I'll try it in my next hive. I'd like to know if I have the basics correct. So, I'll give a rundown of what I've picked up so far. If I'm missing some obvious element, someone please enlighten me. I would hate to have a catastrophic episode because I left out something very important through ignorance. :-D
     Here's what I know so far:
1. A starter, or guide, on the top bar of the frame is very helpful. I plan on using Popsicle sticks.
2. Put in at least one frame with foundation, or comb, to give the bees a ladder and a guide to follow.
3. The hive must be level. Not sure about this one but have seen it come up in a few posts.
That's what I know so far about foundationless.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Getting started w/ foundationless.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 09:41:39 am »
I don't use the full sheet of foundation or comb. I melt wax on the removable wedge from the top bar and staple it back in. That is the guide. (when the wedge is turned it hanges just a bit lower.)

Level hive means a level hive. Bees follow gravity. If the hive is tilted, the comb will start on one frame and end up on the next frame over.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 10:33:25 am »
If you stick in one frame of comb and the rest empty, it will probably work fine, but they will draw out that one frame of comb to be about 4 or 5 inches thick and many of them will be a bit wavey.

You can go without a frame of foundation or comb if you are using guides, you just need to keep an eye on them as they draw it out. 

Rick
Rick

Offline crowhammer

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:59:52 pm »
Thanks, guys. I guess i should add:
4. Keep a tight eye on them as they draw out the comb.

Offline Docking

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:24:32 am »
If you have a super that is fully drawn, could you not checker it with empty frames? I use a sheet of foundation that has been cut into 1 inch strips.
Michael
2 Hives
Russellville, Alabama

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:02:23 pm »
crowhammer let me ask a question i'm sure you will ask soon.

What do you do when the bees start making funky comb that is not nice and strait it zig zags or gets wavy?

That's what I got going on right now

Keith

anything