Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just Starting  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Gregg

• New Bee
Just Starting
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:07:35 pm »
I am just starting out in beekeeping. I am putting my hives together and awaiting my bees in April. So any advive aor help getting started will be most helpful

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Just Starting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:10:39 pm »
Gregg,

Give us your full location as that helps us to figure out what is best for you.

You have come to the right place for help. Just ask away. What have you done so far? Meaning, classes??? Reading anything??? Working with anyone???

Annette

Offline Gregg

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:05 pm »
I have been reading all I can get my hands on for several months. I will be going to the Ala Beekeepers Assoc meeting in Feb . I am in West Alabama near the Mississippi Line. 35 miles west of Tuscloosa, Ala and 25 miles east of Columbus, Mississippi. I have been intereated in beekeeping since I was a kid and now nearing retirment age thought I would full feel my life long dream and make it a part of my farm. I havent had much help or advice form local people that have a few hives. Most dont seam interested in helping some one that wants to start beekeeping

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:33:38 am »
If you're interested in my opinion, here's a start:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:50:12 pm »
Yes Gregg,

Read Michael Bush's website. Much good info.

Also I started by reading "Beekeeping for Dummies", which I think is a very easy good book for learning. He takes you step by step and makes it fun. Although, as you will find out if you stay on this forum, some members do things a little differently than some things he does in his book. (like me, for instance) I do things, or at least I am trying to do things more like Michael Bush who is an extremely successful beekeeper.

There are many issues you need to learn about the varroa mites. Different ways to deal with this problem.

Anyway, keep reading and you also will learn much at your association meeting in February. Try to hook up with a mentor who can show you how to manipulate frames etc.

Good Luck
Annette

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 09:27:56 pm »
Welcome Gregg. I would like to add to the above and suggest you find someone in your area that would mentor you. There is nothing like hands on experience with a knowlageable beekeeper that is willing to take the time to show you things.  I have been very fortunate to find such a person, so I am listing members in alabama and missippi.

AL Alabama  (22)
   cwoernle: Montgomery, Alabama
   Gomez Adams: Athens, Alabama
   wayacoyote: Lawrence Co. Alabama
   1frozenhillbilly: anchorage alaska
   MABee: Al
   guyg41: Gordo, Alabama
   mws: Excel, Alabama
   gardo: Russellville Alabama
   larryw: Huntsville, Alabama USA
   beecowboy: Alabama
   KingBeeApiary: Wetumpka,Alabama
   Dick Allen: Anchorage
   Bubba: Maplesville, Alabama
   Hi-Tech: South Alabama (near Greenville)
   yoderski: Atmore, AL
   DireIce: B'ham, Alabama
   gulfcoastgardens: Mobile, AL
   skullring: Highland Lake, Alabama
   SeaBee: Alabama
   mountainboy: jackson county,Alabama
   Jim Prewett: Sand Mtn., AL
   Flygirl: Anchorage, Alaksa

MS Mississippi  (11)
   RebelRx: Oakvale, MS
   crownhoney: Mississippi,USA
   jnjwhit: Wiggins, MS
   fisheadhamilton2: winona,ms
   justgottabee: MS
   Duckhunter39480: Soso, MS
   hermit: SW Mississippi
   FANNBEE: Reservoir area, MS
   krb7694: NE Mississippi
   bud1: macon, Ms.
   steeldetailer: Mississippi

Offline Gregg

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
Thanks , I am trying to contact several that are close to me.
I agree hands on experience is very important.

As I start out I know I will make some mistakes hopefuly I will learn from them. I have read several post tht answered some questions and hopefuly when I attend the meeting in ffew weeks I wil have many more answered.
Thanks

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:31:33 pm »
Learning from your mistakes is part of the process, but if you can learn as much as you can from other people's mistakes, you can hopefully minimize your own. :)

Reading up everything you can on this forum and anywhere else you can is a great plus. Subscribing to Bee Culture and/or the American Bee Journal will give you some good reading, too.

The Dummies book is great, as is The Backyard Beekeeper, by Kim Flottum, the editor of Bee Culture.

You'll soon see that what works for one beek may not work for another, so seeing what everyone has to say can be confusing at first, but it does help to show you all your options. Finding which combination of those options works for you is the interesting part.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 11:30:12 am »
Gregg, I know what you are saying about not being able to get enough help from people.  I did not have any mentors, other than courses that I took and the correspondence I had by e-mails, it was a toughy.  But I found this forum last year and it has helped me out so much that I cannot begin to tell you.  Stay with us here, you will have a wealth of information at your keyboard screen that is wonderful.

Welcome to our forum.  Ask any questions that you feel are necessary.  Always remember there is no question that is a dumb question.  Every question deserves an answer and you will good answers.  Have a wonderful day Gregg, look at all the answers you have already received.  Beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Gregg

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:08:08 pm »
Found a guy to be my mentor. Was talking to a sales person at the local hardware store and he gave me a couple of guys # . I just got off the phone and he was more than willing to give me pointers as well as hand on experience

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:17:32 pm »
Thats great gregg, you can't beat hands on experience.