Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More advice needed: To move or not to move my hive into this due to 110c heat.  (Read 2439 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Ok, so its gunna be 110 in the shade this weekend. Good news is I have removed a lot of stored honey, bad news is theres gunna be a lot more days over 100c here in the next coupla months.

I have the hive in a shaded place already. It gets a bit of sun that I could stop by simply placing a large flattened cardboard box on top of the hive, or a piece of plywood.

However I have this in my backyard, part of the roof is missing and it has a door soi there would be no problem with ventilation. I would have to shade that window in the front.

So do you think, given the high temps, it would be any good moving the hive into this? It looks shady in this pic, but it would get full sun. The hive in it would not. I guess I should get a couple of thermometers and do the maths ay?

I could move it onto the garage and leave the door ajar, it would not get over 30c ever in there. It has a concrete slab base, double brick walls and a lined insulated roof.

You can see the hive off to the left corner, its only 20ft from the hive.

Looking at the pic, I think I have answered my own question. It might be no cooler in there. Perhaps the garage is the go?

Appreciate your opinions.

PS as you can see I am on the otherside of the planet and things are very busy for the bees here atm and with my now full size colony its full on!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
I thought 100C (celcius) was water boiling point? Did you mean fahrenheit? My bees sit in direct sun year round with temps 100F or more. I have open bottoms and never catch them bearding up. But I am also in a dry climate here. 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline empilolo

• House Bee

You could easily convert that into a "tropical" bee house by removing glass panes and replacing them with slats. Example

http://www.apiconsult.com/bee-houses-kenya.htm

There are several reasons to build them a house. Local bees, like humans, tend to prefer shade. When it rains here, it is likely to RAIN. Out of direct sight, less trouble with kids and vandals, etc.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
when we were so hot this summer, i just vented the top a little more.  they seemed to do fine.  they did really go after the water though.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Yes you are correct, I got confused  :shock: I wish the US would get withthe program and go metric with the rest of the world.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
I wish the US would get withthe program and go metric with the rest of the world.

For you guys it might seem easy to do that, but for some of us we just can't wrap our brain around how far a kilometer is.
Is a meter the same as a yard? :-\
Someone says "1,000 miles", I can see that. But how far is 1,000 kilometers?

So anyway..... How is the humidity in that part of the world? If you are dry then I don't think you have to worry about shade. Just make sure they have water. If it is very humid then perhaps shade is required.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
I wish the US would get withthe program and go metric with the rest of the world.

For you guys it might seem easy to do that, but for some of us we just can't wrap our brain around how far a kilometer is.
Is a meter the same as a yard? :-\
Someone says "1,000 miles", I can see that. But how far is 1,000 kilometers?

So anyway..... How is the humidity in that part of the world? If you are dry then I don't think you have to worry about shade. Just make sure they have water. If it is very humid then perhaps shade is required.

Being in a country that has converted to metric from the other (imperial), now I can't even remember, it has been a very long process.  I can toggle between the two, but very often get confused and use both systems. 
1 metre = 3.28 feet (yard)
1 kilometer = 0.62 miles

So, 1,000 km would be 621.37 miles. 

I know that I love the summer temperatue when it is about 25 celsius, which is 77 f.

Where I am most familiar with the change is with speed, that is what I use mostly.  I know that 60 mph is equal to 100 kmph, 50 mph is 80 kmph.  It is rather odd for sure.  Great day. Cindi

Here's a good link if you ever want to check out the conversions, pretty simple to use (I did, LOL, its handy).

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Here is one you don't have to burn out any brain cells,

http://www.stabb.com/tools/convert.html

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Jerry
Now that is my idea of not burning out brain cells, thanks for the link, it will be very useful.  Great day. Cindi.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything