Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sting in the eye  (Read 10041 times)

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Sting in the eye
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:06:02 am »
What would happen if someone got stung in the eye?

I'm asking this question because I've had a couple close ones and was just wondering what would happen or what might happen if this happened.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Sting in the eye
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:13:22 am »
jxbeeman.  Now that is a post worth waiting a reply for.  I am sure there will be many.

My first thoughts on this would be though that the human instinct for survival is very strong, and our eyes are a pretty important part of survival.  I would  think that before a bee had a chance to stick its stinger in our eyeball, that our instincts would take over and close a moment or two before the bee could actually get it into the eye, the eyelid would protect to a certain degree.  What are your thoughts on this thing now?  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:30:08 am »
yeah, but there are still chances.

my guess is that....it would hurt a lot :-D ermmm, the momment you would close the eye (i imagine) the sting would be also removed, so there would be a very small ammount of venom inside the eye. as far as the reaction...have no clue. i'd say, pain+hangover/punch eye

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:01:46 pm »
It Would hurt  :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:49:22 pm »
I wonder how deep the stinger may go and how fast it is reacted to by the eyes muscular responces - I have glaucoma and eye pressure (occular fluid) pressure is always a concern. Typically people (and this can vary) range from 7-10 in the pressure range - glaucoma has many types, the most common is open angle where you make too much fluid keeping the pressure higher than normal, although the valves that reduce the pressure (drains) to empty normally. This is the way clear fluids always flow inside the eye and give the eyes its round shape.

I'm thinking a good sting might actually flush out if the eye is punctured, occular pressure may force the venom out, even the stinger if not lodged too deep.

This is why I always wear some kind of glasses, magnified reading for cell inspection, sun glasses for general inspection and even swimming glasses on windier days. No matter what happens, I can't imagine a good eyeball sting, wouldn't want to. Been sting just about everywhere else, and that has to be a topper.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 01:08:18 pm »
does anyone know how deep a stinger can penatrate into the skin=> like go through the eyelid?  If it did go through and put venom on the eyeball itself i bet it would really really burn.  probably would swell up alot also.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:53 pm »
I've had stings on the eyelids and around the eyes they hurt pretty bad.I don't think the actual eye ball has any feeling.The stings that hurt the worse for me are under the chin and on the neck.I've been stung every where even there.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:28:48 pm »
Well, I have been waiting for some response - for lack of it, I will now post this:

As I said before, bee-protection garments have not been invented just for the heck of it? They are there for a reason - so, one should use them. . . . .

Bees are known to go for the eyes and for tender spots around mouth and nose. They very seldom go for more tougher parts of the body, unless they are in a attacking frenzy. Even when they sting one's hands - they prefer the area between the fingers - right?
Bees have through millions of years learned, how to quickly immobilize their attackers, like bears, raccoons, etc...  Perhaps through pure logic, they learned that eyes are the primary targets to aim for!

Believe me, you don't want to get stung in a eyeball ! ! !

Regards,
Trot

Good to know:
A wasp sting is relatively mild in comparison to the sting of a bee. Although wasp can sting repeatedly, bee stinger is there to stay and will keep pumping venom into the unlucky recipient. . . . . (eye!)

Wasp Sting on the Eyeball.

Choe GY, Chi KU.

Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Pusan National University, Pusan, Korea.

The authors presented two cases of wasp sting on the eyeball. In the first case the ocluar involvements following the sting of wasp on the central cornea were desquamation of the central corneal epithelium, striated keratitis, bullous keratitis, conneal edema, stromal staining by fluorescein dye to the depth of about two thirds of the cornea, auterior polar cataract, irreversible depigmentation of the iris, stromal atrophy of the iris mydrasis which did not respond even to repeated instillations of eserine. Corneal lesions led to dystrophic changes later.
The second case showed thick cortical cataract, progressive decrease of intraocular pressure and complete blindness without significant corneal and iris involvements following wasp sting on the medial bulbar conjunctiva. The cause of the complete blindness and the progressive decrease of intraocular pressure is unexplainable but it may be a direct effect of venom onto the optic nerve and the ciliary body.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 04:58:54 pm »
*Disclaimer*
I am not a doctor.

But as first aid goes. Dealing with a bee sting to the eye is very different than dealing with a bee sting to the skin.

1. Do not attempt to remove the stinger.
2. Do not press, touch, or rub the eye.
3. Put a cup or something over the eye that will not touch the eye. And hold it in place with some form of tape.
4. Get medical help.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:41:51 pm »
Brendhan, do I recall from the depths of my thoughts that you may be in the emergency response field?  I realize that you put a disclaimer in that you are not a doctor, but you obviously possess some pretty clear ideas on what to do if one should get stung in the eye.  Good to know.  Great day Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 10:49:44 pm »
Trott, your information was very good.   The excerpt from the Pusan National University in Korea was even more enthralling.  Bee venom is stronger than wasp.  Yes, but they both possess different chemical makeups, right?  So, their study on the effect of wasp venom would be different than one that would be researched with bee venom I would think. 

Bees certainly do go for the higher parts of the body, (face, neck) for sure. I'm sure we all will attest to that one.

I have a thought though.  We know that the stinger of bees remains in mammals, but it does not remain in other soft bodied entities, such as other bugs, bees, slugs, etc.  So, could we equate the texture of the eyeball to a soft bodied insect and that the stinger may not remain lodged.  Now if this were the case, then one could really be in trouble, because the bee could probably sting the eyeball more than once.!!!  LOL.

Anyways, this is very serious food for thought.  I would like to know if anyone knows of anyone who has actually received assault to the eye by bees.  Case histories?  Internet.  Maybe I'll check it out.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 10:50:47 pm »
*Disclaimer*
I am not a doctor.

But as first aid goes. Dealing with a bee sting to the eye is very different than dealing with a bee sting to the skin.

1. Do not attempt to remove the stinger.
2. Do not press, touch, or rub the eye.
3. Put a cup or something over the eye that will not touch the eye. And hold it in place with some form of tape.
4. Get medical help.

how does one avoid blinking or moving the eye which will aggravate the situation

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 10:04:47 am »
how does one avoid blinking or moving the eye which will aggravate the situation

Most likey in a situation with a stinger in the eye the persons will reflex and close their eye. The trick then is to to than keep it closed. You can tell most people to close to their eyes not keep them open. Also have them keep both eyes closed. If both eyes are closed the eyes are less likey to shift or move. The idea here is to get them to someone whi has the special tools to remove the stinger with out scratching or damaging the eyeball.

Now if it is impracticle for person to close their eye deal with it like this.
1. Have them close their other eye. Eyes move in tandem you want to minimize eye movement.
2. When you put the cup over the eye make sure the cup is opague (dark so no light passes through). If you have add a dark blanket or towel. If the eye has no light or doesn't have several items to focus on there is less eye movement.

These options are not always practicle or able to be thought of in a crisis. There are others who may tell you to tape the eyelid open. I have had several medical people tell me never never never. So I will heed them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 02:29:32 pm »
several years ago [30+] a friend wanted me to go and help him move a hive of honey bees. He milked cows so we got a late start in the morning. Bees already out and flying by the time we arrived. We covered up entrance hole and picked up hive to put in pick up. About that time I [ with no veil or protection of any kind] got stung on eyelid. Hurt like --------, well friend found out what happened took out pocket knife and pulled out stinger very gently. Swelled to about two time regular size and could finally see out of eye in about three days. PLEASE WEAR PROTECTION!!!!! I do every time now. Don't want that pain ever again.
       Somewhere on here I read about the eye can't feel pain that it's the lid causing the pain. I had a piece of steel in eye and and had to have doctor take it out. He numbed the eye before taking it out. That hurt just as bad as the sting on the eye lid. Hurt like .........!!!!! Protect the eyes ladies and gentlemen!!!!!!!! Pembroke

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 02:33:49 pm »

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Sting in the eye-eye doc answer
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 12:42:52 am »
i asked my husband about the bee sting in the eye.  as is usually the case when i ask him a question, i got back a research paper :-).  the short answer is SEE THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!  with treatment, a sting to the eye is an inconvenience.  without treatment, it can lead to severe eye damage and possible blindness.  our blink reflex is pretty fast, and eyeball stings are not to common.

there is also debate about removing the stinger.  he's going to do some further research :-( on that for us.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 06:15:21 pm »
I got stung in the eyelid this last season. I had to run inside (about 350'). Once inside I used a knife to scrape the stinger out. This is where my wife walked in and asked what in the world was going on.

I had a job interview two days later. My face was still so swollen I couldn't open that eye. My wife thought about driving my because she thought it was too dangerous to drive. I used Benadryl, ice packs and just about everything else I could find. The swelling just took a long time to go down.

On the other hand, my last sting of the year was on my head in the hair line, didn't swell a bit.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 08:13:26 pm »
Good, all this sting in the eye information is very good.  We must be careful.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 11:20:11 pm »
Just found this doing a regular search

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/stings.htm

A sting in the eyeball is not to be desired, but we did have one fellow stung dead centre with no lasting effect -- or pain for that matter.  We rushed him to the doctor and the doctor took a look.  He didn't know exactly what to do either -- other than to extract the remains of the stinger.  Anyhow, nothing came of it.

Most of the time I when I worked with the hives I would go without a veil, but let me say I always had one handy if the bees became too active or aggitated. I have rarely been stung by accident (did do venom treatments to me knees). I would really hate to be stung in the eye though. I should ask anatomy profess at school what he thinks would happen.

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 02:33:20 am »
organicgrl37, the link to bee sting removal in that URL you posted gives some good information on bee sting removal. Many beekeepers persist in thinking it is more important to "properly" remove a sting than it is to get it out ASAP.

anything