Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making a Living out of bee keeping  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Making a Living out of bee keeping
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:37:55 pm »
Hey guys,

Need input please.  Can you make a living out of just the honey???  Or do you really need other avenues in bee keeping to make a living?

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Making a Living out of bee keeping
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:43 pm »
Not easily done. 
It's nice extra money but hard to make it as a full time.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:53:24 pm »
you would need a lot of money up front for equipment.  not just bee equipment either.  buildings, trucks etc.
pm me.  my first job was for a big commercial outfit.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:58:47 pm »
I do not know of many in Georgia that make it just on honey.   Most make it on selling bees.   Honey is just a byproduct.  You will find out that we have dry honey years every once in a while in north Georgia. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »
You need to talk to REDBEE (Bruce) who relied on both pollination and honey with his 3000 hives. I believe he said he had to produce 150 barrels just to break even.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04:00 am »
I am not sure about folks in your areas but I know here there has been a turn to more healthy eating and folks who never used honey are buying it these days. Thought about having to sell the honey at a discount at local stores but could take a while to sell reserves if you had a large amount so I have to agree with most of you that just on honey alone could be challanging.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:35 am »
> Can you make a living out of just the honey???  Or do you really need other avenues in bee keeping to make a living?

MAYBE if you sold all your honey yourself direct to the consumer and you got premium prices for either varietals or treatment free or some other niche.  But I think it is wiser to diversify your income and selling a large amount of honey is difficult and selling it wholesale is sometimes a losing proposition.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin