Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen Identification  (Read 6587 times)

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
Pollen Identification
« on: June 09, 2004, 04:35:22 am »
Good morning

I am very interested in the different types of pollen my bees are bringing in and would love to be able to identify the source. Would anyone know if there is a web site where I could get this information?

Many thanks.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Pollen Identification
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 05:51:00 am »
Quote from: Saucy
Good morning

I am very interested in the different types of pollen my bees are bringing in and would love to be able to identify the source. Would anyone know if there is a web site where I could get this information?

Many thanks.

Hi, it is now middle of the day in Finland 11:50

You should go to nature and see with your own eyes, what kind of pollen bees take with them. It is imposible to tell with words  the colors. Sorbus aucuparia : greenes - grey or dirty white.  Oxalis acetosella: like snow ball.

But idea is good. If someone take a picture from bee's pollen and from flower.

There is also blooming time, what species are in blossom.

Anonymous

Pollen Identification
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 09:36:36 am »
I hardily agree, just go to the hive and back line the bees to the nector/pollen source. I have been able to identify a light grey my girls carry in during the last of April to the end of May as coming from the wild Russian Olive bushes scatered in an overgrowen farm field. A very bright yellow during the same time frame comes from wild mustard I allow to grow in last years veggie garden and also from the dandolions. Right now they are bring in a pinkish hue pollen and as best I can see it is from the red clover in the old veggie garden.
 :D Al

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Pollen Identification
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 10:45:33 am »
Quote from: trail twister
Right now they are bring in a pinkish hue pollen and as best I can see it is from the red clover in the old veggie garden.
 :D Al

Hi Twister

Red clower is same as in Finland. Here the pollen of all clover's are dark brown. It has flowers here about after 2 months.

Now were have a lot of taraxacum officinale. It gives a good honey and orange pollen. http://www.gartendatenbank.de/pflanzen/taraxacum/img/004.jpg

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
Pollen identification
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 12:58:39 pm »
Thank you. I have tried to "follow" the bees but with no success! I have got a feeling that they are flying over common trees and plants and have found something interesting and productive further afield. I have planted a number of "bee" flowers and they are just not interested.

We have a lot of oil-seed rape which is abound at this time and it looks like they have found something better.

I need to identify the pollen so I can start looking for the source.

Thanks again.

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
Pollen Identification
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 01:16:50 pm »
I always thought I got yellow pollen from pine trees, and a pea-colored green from the maples....pretty woodsy around here, but same scenario...planted "bee" plants, and they go elsewhere, but not sure where. Ive driven all around town looking for them, but nowhere to be seen, even when collecting like mad!!  At least theyre happy and busy I guess. :lol:

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Pollen Identification
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 01:52:47 pm »
anyone know if there is information?
quote]

OK. I have nursed bees 42 years and I am master of science in biology. I know quite well Finnish pollen colors. But in south there are more numerous of flowers.

In southern Finland

Alnus incana April  light yellow
Willows, about 15 different species  in May yellow  (40 in botany book)
Pine  light yellow
Oxalis acetosella, white, like snowball

Taraxacum, orange
Apple tree , green grey
Cherry , brown
Vaccinium vitis-idaea, rusty red
Vicia cracca , yellow brown
Trifolium , brown
turnip rape , yellow
willow herb, Chamaenérium angustifólium  blue with fringe
raspberry  , Rubus idaeus , grey white
heather,  like skin, light brown
Leontodon autumnalis, August, orange
lime tree, Tilia cordata, green grey

These are main honey & pollen plants in Finland, or mass flowers. There is a lot of bowers, but they meaning to apiculture is unimportant.

For excample, willow herb is the main honey palnt in forest areas. Last summer was so hot, that it did not give any honey or pollen in my area.

Also we can have many hectares Pisum sativum, but bees do not go to flowers.

One year I wondered when bees brought turnip rape pollen. I drived car  many hours and I did not found the field. But after couple of days  I found it. It was  4,5 km distance to field.

When bees get honey from turnip rape over distance  1 km, half of honey is consumed during journey. Also it dipence on water content  of honey.

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
Identification
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 02:02:38 pm »
Thanks all and especially to you Finman for your concise reply - thanks for your efforts.

I think it may be the willows - I might go for a ride on my bicycle to hunt for them (and go to the pub!) as it is beautiful weather.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Identification
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 02:17:33 pm »
Thanks all and especially to you Finman for your concise reply - thanks for your efforts.

I think it may be the willows - .

Yes but!

You are in London, and your summer is 3-4 weeks ahead us. I called to my friend Milton Keynes and we discussed what blooms now there. Your willows flowered in March and April, I think.

If you have spring turnip rape, it blooms in that time.
Roses give yellow pollen, but not honey.

In London there are so many planted species that it is very difficult to say what it is.

Laburnum alpinum as we say "golden rain" may be in blossom there now, and many other blooming trees and bushes.

anything