Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: starting comb honey super...... or any super for that matter (new foundation)  (Read 1546 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
I would have put this question in my other post, but forgot.

I will be popping another comb honey super on.  When you put a new comb honey super on, do you feed at all?  I was told to feed syrup to get them drawing comb.  If you feed aren't you running the risk of some of the syrup being stored?

Also, putting on extracting supers that have new foundation, should you feed to start?  Same question applies here...wont they store syrup as they build? 

I know if you have a good flow going you should remove the feeder, but I am having a bit of a hard time determining if there is actually a "good" flow.  Isn't there something "flowing" most of the time? 

I know these are pretty basic questions, but hoping to get a bit of clarification.

Thanks!
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
When you put a new comb honey super on, do you feed at all?  I was told to feed syrup to get them drawing comb.  If you feed aren't you running the risk of some of the syrup being stored?

Also, putting on extracting supers that have new foundation, should you feed to start

if you want honey, don't feed or you'll get syrupy stuff.  if there is enough flow for them to make honey, they'll draw the foundation also.  don't  use excluders while they are drawing it.  if you are adding another deep for brood, you just have to watch.  if they are not drawing it, and you can see that they need the space, there is no harm in feeding if you want. however, if they don't draw it out and pretty much fill it, you'll have to much space for winter.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Kathy,

I have two deeps for brood boxes.  In Indiana that is the rule of thumb, I guess.

I did not understand what you meant in your last sentence.  "however, if they don't draw it out and pretty much fill it, you'll have to much space for winter."  Do you mean if they don't draw out the third box, and fill the second with brood?  I don't mean to be dimwitted, but I was not sure what you meant.  

I definitely want honey, so I guess once the two boxes are full, I will stop feeding until August.  ???  

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
My rule of thumb...once a super goes on...all feeding stops.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
for just that specific hive, or all hives in that yard?