Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Don't forget to look at that fine print!  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Don't forget to look at that fine print!
« on: August 17, 2004, 11:16:46 am »
Ok so I was looking at the bee vac site that latebee gave me and a link that said Illinois Bee and Apiary Act caught my atention. I was astounded to find that I had to register my hives and all current apiaries witht the state! I was even more astounded to find that there were fines for not complying :shock:

So as a moderator I felt that I should warn ya'll. If you haven't looked into the state law on bees, please look! It'll save you time and misery.
Bee Boy

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:37:00 pm »
Pennsylvania requires that you register all of your apiaries and their locations with the state Department of Agriculture - Apiary Section. The cost is $10 for 2 years. This allows the state to have an inspector check your hive once a year for diseases or parasites.

Fortunately our current inspector has over 1000 hives himself which makes for a great source of information when I have any management related questions.

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 08:22:48 pm »
I pay $2 /yr. in Maine for up to 10 hives, and although Ive never met him, I hear our inspector is super helpful, right full of knowledge, stop by almost anytime asked, and very friendly, but also spread a bit thin.  I think its worth it, just my laziness not taking advantage of it.

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 08:24:25 pm »
Wow! I guess I'm lucky to not have to pay anything to register as many hives as I want!!
Bee Boy

anything