Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Australian Bees banned from US  (Read 11865 times)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Australian Bees banned from US
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 06:45:34 pm »
If I can't ship there, I don't want them here.... ;)

We need to have that law for all items, to all countries.   It may help out the trade problems with Asia.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 09:51:44 pm »
Did I mention we have good ole American (ized) God fearin', apple pie lovin' bees for sale? :-D

Good attitude Bjorn!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 10:22:10 am »
US animal import rules seem silly to me. On one hand you have people buying an unchecked amount of pythons (and other exotic pets) and releasing them into what is now an established wild feral population and on the other you dont want bees from what is widely thought to be one of the best pest free sources of euro bees on the planet.

We aren immune to stupid import rules. We have the only desease free atlantic salmon in the world and our stupid previous Gov removed restriction of live salmon import from places with known desease to get free trade agreements off the ground.

My point, lots of this stuff is often more political than sensible or scientific. :(

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 12:04:39 am »
We do not have Varoa yet. I can appreciate why the Aussie quarantine laws are like they are. We have the same type of import bans between Western Australia and Victoria due to disease control.

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 05:24:29 am »
The Aussies have pests gaining a foot hold that we do not want.  We have imported enough pests already.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 05:32:03 am »
Given the value the US dollar and the AU dollar it would be much better for local US beeks to sell packages to each other rather than import from other countries. Good luck in the future. We are all as one on this earth. I do wish we find a cure for Varoa very soon.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 05:32:04 pm »
Ain't the US dollar and the AUS dollar about even now?  (with our falling value)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 06:12:17 pm »
looks my plans to start producing queens and nucs is right on time!!
i start making the wodenware at the end of the month!

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 11:42:52 am »
The Aussies have pests gaining a foot hold that we do not want.  We have imported enough pests already.

Such as?

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 04:07:51 pm »

If you have ever been to Australia and go into the hives of friendly beekeepers, you will be relieved to see that they do not have varroa and other stinky pest like SHB that we have here in N. America. Australia has every right to be  protective of their bees from N. American ones. I am relieved that there is a place on earth where bees don't have Varroa.

I told my beekeeper friend in Melbourne before going into his hive that I have a trained eye for Varroa and will check if his hives has any. He told me that if I found one mite, the media and all Aussie journalists will be flooding his apiary and it will be headline news in Australia. I wished I was in his situation about mites.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:35:02 pm by mathew »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 05:05:12 pm »
They do have SHB down under.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 05:35:09 pm »
The claim may be hard to prove, but the basis for comments are justified and true.

Fact is, very little until CCD came around was done in the sense of looking at viral and bacterial issues with bees. There was never funding ever close to seriously look at and discover all the possible disease factors that are potentially there.

I think anyone, in light of the many pests already spread around the world and detrimental to bees, who stands and even remotely suggests that further harm or spread of disease is not possible....is either very uneducated, or is very foolish.

I find it ironic that people from one country that bans the importation of honey bees, and suggests that importation into another country is seemingly without risk, would even suggest so. You can not guarantee that some unknown disease would not be spread. But I could show you many that have already been spread.

In every corner of agriculture where one plant, animal or insect has been flown across the oceans, disease and destruction of the native habitat follows.

I will applaud the day that bee imports are banned.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 12:54:44 am »
They do have SHB down under.

You don't have SHB in the USA?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2010, 02:24:43 pm »
Just not ones that speak with an Aussie accent.   :-D  They might confuse our beetles. 

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 09:59:16 pm »
uh huh... so there is a government program (and an implied subsidy via a reduction in supply) with which my conservative brethren can get behind.  how refreshing.  one might suspect since the same folks will benefit by this subsidy directly that the $$$ has somewhat altered their purest 'free market*' inclinations.

it is my understanding that 'the ban' is under consideration...  so at this time nothing is really decided.

*I have absolutely no idea what the term means since the same folks will often tell you nothing in life is free.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 11:18:02 pm »
But ain't the potential Aussie ban because if Apis Cerana, and the problems with it?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 07:25:08 am »
But ain't the potential Aussie ban because if Apis Cerana, and the problems with it?

That is, or may be, the one source justification. But the benefits will be many. The day we stop importing problems in from around the world, we all benefit.  ;) Can you imagine beekeeping without v-mites, t-mites, SHB, and the other newly arrived disease. To bad we always start the process a few diseases too late.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »
I heard on the radio that Georgia is now getting over run with some type of stink bug that is from south America.  Maybe stop all imports?   (Including oil to stop other problems?)

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 09:55:46 pm »
Apis cerana is an absolute pill. Active monitoring and destruction may not get rid of this pest. The top end of QLD is doing its bit but there is still lots to do. Came into Australia through the mast of an Asian ship and was detested up there for quite a while. I am all for stopping both importation and export due to real threats for all beekeepers in all countries.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

But the only problem, that i know of, with A. cerana is varroa - which you guys already have? We here in Australia don't have it yet

anything