Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: trying a trapout.  (Read 10457 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
trying a trapout.
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:42:16 pm »
set up my first trapout today on a tree hive.
looks like i only had one hole to place a cone on and seal and i got it!
i took a frame of eggs and a frame of capped larve from the hive i want a queen from.
i then did a position change and let drift fill the box with foragers.
the nurse bees were on the frames of eggs and brood.
this was started 4 days ago and i confirmed queen cell formation before placing the hive on
the stand next to the cone.

thanks iddee for the information on trapouts.
i will post my results as i go.
hope this works!
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: trying a trapout.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:54:21 am »
got a call from the client that i am doing the trap out for.
he reports bees coming out of the colony being traped and none going back in.
all are returning to the bait hive.
 i am going to try to go back for a look today and see but it sounds like it is working with no problems.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:56:06 am »
How about some pics?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:44:42 pm »
How about some pics?
Yea what he said :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 06:23:25 pm »
oops! went back and found they had eaten the caulk from the back of the cone! :-x

i had a couple of pieces of window screen with me and after an hour of blocking and observing i should
be on the winning side now. ( i hope )
will post the photos as soon as they come in from my phone email.
bailey

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 06:33:07 pm »
Shame on you. You didn't use silicone caulk.

I bet you will next time.  :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: trying a trapout. photos
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:25:12 pm »
here are the photos of the trapout.
i checked the bait hive and i have 4 queen cells capped and due out by 10/4 or a little earlier.
the queen cells arent as impressive as i would like but i will see.

iddee. notice the screen in behind the cone board! :-D
i also put another brace under the platform frame.
we have a flow on right now and i think they will get heavy before time to move them.

what you think iddee? did i get it right?

bailey

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:11:25 pm »
Looks good. Looks like you may have 8 or so frames of bees. If you wanted to do it, you could remove it, put another box up, cut 2 of the queen cells out, put them into the new box, and get a second hive off it.

If you don't, keep an eye on the weight. It could hit 75 lbs. before you know it.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 05:51:32 am »
Looking good Bailey! My only suggestion would be to level the hive. My bees are rockin' and rolling as well. Good luck with the trap out.

Hey, let's go fishing, Irwin's making me jealous with all his fish pictures!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:01 pm »
gonna go out to the trap out hive tomorrow and check it and gather more photos!
keeping my fingers crossed and will pos results tomorrow.
bailey

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:21:27 pm »
Hope things are looking good with the trap out. Y'all's golden rains still in bloom?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:55 pm »
checked the trapout today, not much changed, the bees are still coming out but much slower.
the trap hive has 8 frames full and bees are not able to get into the tree anymore.
looked for the queen ( she should have hatched out3 to 4 days ago )  didnt see her.
there were no queen cells today but there were at least 5 of them 2 weeks ago.

will check again in another week and might be able to pull the cone off!
the trap hive is bringing in nectar and capping honey very quickly!

new pic below

jp  notice the hive is level?  the golden rain trees are blooming still but you can see the  seed pods forming where the blooms were.
funny looking golden / red blooms both on the same tree.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 10:49:37 pm »
You set the trap on Sept. 22. Two weeks ago today. The eggs laid the same day won't emerge for another week. There will be bees in the tree for a minimum 2 more weeks, likely 4 weeks. I wouldn't remove the cone before Halloween if you want to empty the tree. If you want them to regroup and do another trap in the spring, remove it now and build the hive from 8 frames.

PS. If you add a frame of eggs and brood now, it will give the new hive emerging bees for the next 3 weeks, and if the new queen didn't make it, they will make a new one.
Just a bit of insurance.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 10:59:10 pm »
The hive still looks a little crooked to me, but the bees don't seem to mind, looks like you have a good hive there.

...JP

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:27:17 pm »
thanks iddee, i will bring a frame of eggs when i go back next week.

jp. i think it will be a good hive as well. they are drawing the plastic foundation from one of the hives that
you gave me.
that hive absconded and i used the frames again here and there.
guess i better hang a swarm trap  next week whan i go back cause these bees are very gentle.
would love to have that queen!
bailey

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 09:52:36 am »
Sounds like you're getting quite an education from this trap out and having fun to boot. Great job buddy.

...JP

Offline Gena

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 12:01:59 am »
Very awesome play-by-play- thank you so much. I have several of these I could (try) to do.
Gena

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 08:26:14 pm »
your new to the board?
welcome. you have come good company here with the south louisiana bee keeping.
look at iddees posts on trapouts and then go get them next spring! i believe it might be hard to start one now and get a good mated queen out of the deal in our area.
what city are you in?
bailey

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 12:11:02 am »
Gena's been around a while Bailey, she just doesn't post a bunch. We keep in touch by PMing every now and then.

Hey Gena, if you see this, how did your husband wind up doing in Kansas? 

Sorry for the highjacking.

...JP

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 11:13:56 pm »
well, i got good news and i got bad news :-x
good news the trapout worked! no more bees in he tree :lol:
bad news, the bait hive is queenless! :'(
dont guess she made it back from her mating flights.

will go remove the bait hive this weekend and then seal the tree so no other swarms take up residence.
the bait hive is so full of pollen, bee bread and nectar and honey it,s amazing!
i have a late swarm with a good laying queen that will get the hive and stores as a combine so all is not lost.

but! i have another bee tree lined up for trapout in the spring so look for more stories on my attempts to do trapouts.
bailey