Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey locust and late season flowers  (Read 2823 times)

Offline keeper007

• House Bee
honey locust and late season flowers
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:48:31 pm »
Is honey locust a good honey plant?
ive read in a bee magazine that its not very good but at other places they
say that there pretty good honey produces.
and besides aster and goldenrod what r some other late honey plants
"Suspect everyone, even those beyond suspicion"
-Steve Leopard/Cirque du Freak

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: honey locust and late season flowers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 11:54:34 am »
I have read both things about Black Locust (honey Locust Trees) but I read abiut a guy in Romania that dosen"t ever move his Hives has abiut 100 by this large Stand of Black Lcust trees says he gets a lot of honey Plus black locust trees are in Pellets book of American honey plants
kirk-0
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:20:20 pm »
My mentor once told me that a Locust tree, black or any other color :) , was a honey flow unto itself.  One black locust tree could produce 2 supers of honey for one hive.  I used to have a neighbor that had three of them.  I had three hives and I often filled 2 medium supers on each hive while the locust were in bloom--although locust wasn't the only thing they were collecting.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:32:36 pm »
In my first year of beekeeping, the locust tree was the only tree that clearly was favored by my bees. It blooms early to late spring and was loaded w/ bees. You could see them leave the hive, and immediately take flight to this tree. Another tree that had the soame reaction, later in the summer is the Catawba tree. As for late season flowers, Anise hyssop. Blooms from july to frost, and the bees sit on it and wont leave. This flower was available during my areas dearth, and helped bridge the gap until fall blooms
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".