Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hello bee people  (Read 1941 times)

Offline maker

• New Bee
hello bee people
« on: May 29, 2009, 02:18:01 am »
I am in Orange County, CA. I built mu first top bar beehive about 2 months ago and miraculously discovered a swarm in the back yard at work. (heat wave) I placed them in the hive along the North side of the house with the entrance facing East-ish. I have discovered brood comb is being drawn across the bars while combs started later on do follow the TB's. I'm planning on trying to separate and straighten the crossed combs. I have a feeling i'm going to have a big mess and a whole lot of angry bees. I may end up removing the combs and placing them on the floor (until the brood emerges) letting the bees start over. Hopefully following some ofe the straight comb they have already drawn.
One interesting observation: I watched one of the clean up crew carrying a dead sister and figured it was going to be dropped off the ledge, but no. She actually carried the dead bee off the ledge and flew down almost touching the ground, back up and over the fence until i lost sight of them. Very interesting. What and why do that work for that one dead bee when it seems like most of the dead just get pushed out the entrance onto the ground? Could they possible know when a diseased body needs to be taken far away from the hive?

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: hello bee people
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:39:37 am »
Hello and Welcome Maker 
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 11:03:50 am »
Maker, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  You are entering into the wonderful and secret life of the bees, these experiences you will love, and they will enhance your life.  This will be a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, ask questions, make new friends.  Your questions will be answered.  I think that some bees are just more active than others, that may be why some bees take bees away, others push them out off the board, who knows, someone will chime in.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, to love and live this great life we all live, and share, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:16:23 am »
Welcome maker, this is a fun and great place to ask questions.  This is my first year working with bees and I have also seen them carry off their dead.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:12:54 am »
Hi, I am about to build a TBH. Would you tell me your TBH dimmenisons and how much honey and wax you collected so far? Any tips or changes you would make?

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »
Welcome maker! Glad to have you in the Forum. Have fun!

anything