Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: colony removal, inside job, advice  (Read 2309 times)

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
colony removal, inside job, advice
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:09:17 pm »
I have done bee removals from buildings and i was asked on a job that needs to be done from the inside. I have never wanted to touch these before but am considering this one. I am asking those who do bee removal from buidings what they think about removing from inside a (inhabited) house - the master bedroom at that!), what do you do, what specific tools do you take to do this type of job... do you use a contract for any legal issues that may arise ? How much do you charge ?
Thanks for any advice

Jcaime2@aol.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: colony removal, inside job, advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:03 am »
Have the homeowner clear as much stuff out of the room as possible. Tape the walls down with clear plastic so the bee's droppings don't get on the paint, plastic the floor, if there's a door you close it obviously and put a large towel at the bottom.

Have a bee vac handy and use it. I'm a big fan of sbbs but not with an indoor removal, any honey will drip through.

I have never used a red lite but hear it works to keep the bees from flying everywhere, of course especially on any lights.

I've done them with the lights off and just light coming through a window, these work well, but I would try the red lite.

Have a shop vac with you to clean up mess and a bucket with warm water, the water is for cleaning honey off your tools, most important thing in a removal, imo.

Depending on how docile the bees are you may have to puff them with some smoke, then put the smoker out the window.

You could also consider spraying them down some so they don't fly as much but don't vacuum these, keep 'em on the combs and transfer to your box.

Once you're done close up your box, and then vacuum the stragglers, can't think of anything else really.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything