Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2lb packages?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
2lb packages?
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:33:09 pm »
Picking up my first two (3lb) packages tomorrow... My buddy is riding with me, and he's picking two packages also. He'll be shaking both packages in a Warre, and he asked me did I want the extra queen.

So my question to you all is - would it be foolish of me to do divvy up my two packages and and start a third TBH? I have everything set up, because I made a bunch for setting out as traps.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: 2lb packages?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:40:42 pm »
I would do it. Many packages sold are 2lb.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Jim7310

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:51:53 pm »
i would go for it as well.  2lb packages are not ideal, but many people make them work. With the price of bees now it could save quite a bit if successful.

Jim

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:54:34 pm »
Do you have extra bees for later? or Drawn comb to start them on to give them a week or more boost?  The attrition of a 2 lb package makes it not worth the risk unless you have some resources to help boost them. Some claim to have good luck with a 2 lb package, and I have made it work, but as stated, the risk factor goes up.  Weigh your options well.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »
I do have two 5 frame deep nucs coming in late May (to go in my Langs), but these two pounders will have taken off or failed by then.

One article I was reading was saying the two pounders can actually have the advantage during a cool spring. That seems counter intuitive, that why I wanted to check with you guys first.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:03:01 am »
The place where you are getting your packages should have a nuc box for sale. I would do it, but only if I could put them in a small box.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:51:24 am »
I've got follower boards made up. I know MB says you don't really need them, but I'm going to set 'em up where they can keep warm.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:03 am »
2 pounds of bees works fine.  One of the reasons for getting 3 pound packages is that often there are only 2 pounds left alive by the time you get them... sad but true.  Sometimes even less if they were handled roughly enough.  The biggest problem is that the bees will have accepted the queen in the package and you will be trying to introduce a different one now.  And hanging a queen cage (which will be necessary since they don't know that queen) always leads to messed up comb (unless you have some drawn comb to use).

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 09:09:38 pm »
They shipped out of Georgia yesterday morning, and they are hived tonight. I shook them with scales to get even splits. I did hang the cages -glad I made that call... guess I got lucky for once.  :grin:

I'll stay on the comb, checking them tomorrow and Sat if it's warm enough.

I got the hard cover copy of your book, Michael Bush,It's been a good week!  Thanks again for all you do, and all that you share.

And a hat tip to everybody that weighed in on this. I really appreciate your input.
Glen

anything