Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive placement  (Read 2391 times)

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
hive placement
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:24:41 am »
Hi

Newbie here.

I am planning on a hive placement now.  I understand nothing is perfect.  I read about the ideal locations you should look for.  I have a  rural area  with neighbors houses 300' away.  It's on top of the hill so I always get wind.

Going to be on a square acre lot.  House and barn in front close to road (higher in front and slopes downward towards back).  Middle of lot is a small garden area, and have a lower garden entire back of lot.  Thinking about placing either lower right or lower left) corners next to garden area and woods.  This area get full sun from 8 am to 4 during summer.

Another location would be a undeveloped lot to right of barn (upper right).   I eventually want to make it into a woodlot for storing firewood, but wouldn't need all the space.  It would get longer sun here, but is higher in elevation (would get more wind).

What is the usual space needed for a comfort zone around the hive?

Thoughts on going forward.

Thanks for all replies in advance.

David

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: hive placement
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:02 am »
There is no perfect place.  Here's a prioritized list:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#locating
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:11:46 am »
If you are planning a permanent spot for your hives check for trees that will spread and shade the hives in a few years.  Dealing with that problem right now, my hives are behind my shop and are in the shade because of trees that kept growing since I set up the yard. 

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:14:07 pm »
If you are planning a permanent spot for your hives check for trees that will spread and shade the hives in a few years.  Dealing with that problem right now, my hives are behind my shop and are in the shade because of trees that kept growing since I set up the yard.

Look at Mr. Bush's list. FULL SUN means full sun today and full sun 20 years from now.  Shade is the friend of disease and pest NOT the friend of your bees.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:45:31 pm »
on a hill wind block is nessary up there I would think

ask Idee

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:57:37 pm »
>What is the usual space needed for a comfort zone around the hive?

I've had them by my door and had no problems.   I've had hot hives that would hunt you down 100 yards from the hives and sting you... I would not have liked those by my door...  I think it's best to have a contingency plan for what you'll do if they get hot, that way you aren't suddenly faced with a dilemma trying to decide what to do.  Bees are like having a dog.  If the dog turns mean, you'll have to do something... if it doesn't you won't.  The main thing is face it away from human traffic.  They will guard the front of the hive much more than the back.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 10:47:46 am »
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

Sound like I would be better putting them in upper section (would get more sun).

So there is no average buffer zone around hives I should expect.  It all depends on the temperament of the colony.  If temperament is bad, shouldn't I re-queen colony?

thanks
David

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:59:35 am »
If I can't drive up next to the hives, right after a rain, it is not a good spot.
-------------------

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:49:49 pm »
Hi,

What do you call in the sun, how many hours of daylight on the actual hives?   The placement I was thinking would be 8am to 6 pm during summer hours, probably less during other seasons.

Thanks
David

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 12:14:28 am »
David,
I have on average 10 hives in my back yard within 30-40 feet of my house and pool. I like to look out my bedroom window to see what they are doing at all hours of the day and night.
I have 2 grand daughters that have played in my back yard for years and never got stung in the yard.
When they are in this yard they are in heavy shade most of they day. In the spring, I put them on my bee trailer and take them to my farm for gallberry. They are then in full sun. I really do not see much of a difference between the locations. I have another hive in full sun that I did not move this year and it out performed all of the other hives this year. There is more to it than just full sun. I like full sun and try for it but it is not the whole story. 2 years ago these hives produced 1200 pounds on honey. This past year they only produced 500 pounds. They did not cap most of the honey this year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything