Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Buckling  (Read 1525 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
New Buckling
« on: July 22, 2022, 05:05:55 pm »
My sister just purchased a new buckling for our goat herd.  We have two adult bucks already, but they are full brothers, and she's been wanting to add some different genes into our pool.  She and my dad drove to Knoxville to pick him up.  We named him Arthur.  He's living with our young wethers, Zeb and Joseph, who were just separated from their mom, so they've been doing nothing but yelling for the past few days.  Arthur is getting along well with the wethers, but he likes the big bucks better, who are in the next pasture over.  They seem to like him too, and the three of them have been hanging out along the fenceline together.  He could probably go in with them if it weren't the rut right now, which makes the bucks beat each other up, and Arthur is too little to defend himself against them.   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New Buckling
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 05:38:03 pm »
Awww   :grin:  and your place looks so neat and clean!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 05:48:50 pm »
Awww   :grin:  and your place looks so neat and clean!
My mom will be happy to hear you say that!  :grin:  We've been working on cleaning up around outside this week, as things kind of got away from us since we were all just sick.  My sister will tell you that keeping a barn clean is much easier with only 3 goats in there instead of 10, which is what we had before we sold our other babies.  Now we've got the 3 boys in the main barn, the 3 does in the upper pasture, and the 2 bucks in the back pasture. 

Arthur has officially decided he just wants to live on the fenceline with the big bucks, and refuses to come down to the barn to eat or sleep.  My sister has a hay bag and a bucket of water up there for him, and she has to go and get him every night when it gets dark and make him go to the barn.  He even walks all the way to the buck's fence by himself when he's let out in the morning, which is a big deal for a goat as young as him.  If the bucks walk away, he starts crying and then they come back.  One of our bucks even refused to finish his grain the other day because Arthur was crying, and he left the rest of his food to go back to the fence!       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 05:52:27 pm »
Your place and goat set-up is neat Reagan. Its nice to hear you all are better now! Congratulations to sister for the new goat!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 05:56:39 pm »
Your place and goat set-up is neat Reagan. Its nice to hear you all are better now! Congratulations to sister for the new goat!

Phillip
Thanks, Phillip.  Yes, we are all finally feeling like our normal selves.  My sister is still a little low on energy, as she was the last one to get sick, but we're all thankful to be finally able to do our normal things again.  Luckily, we didn't all get sick at the exact same time, or it would have been very difficult to take care of all the animals.