Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can I shoot his cows?  (Read 35455 times)

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Can I shoot his cows?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 02:00:36 pm »
You're neighbor says repair the fence would cost too much.

You say you cut your fence for easy access to the woods without climbing over fence.
So why did you cut your fence when a gate makes much more sense?

I think there are issues with both you and your neighbor in this matter.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 02:28:58 pm »
I have done a little more looking around and Louisiana does have open range areas. Meaning...of you live in one of those areas then it is up to you to put up the fence to keep the cows out.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 02:55:01 pm »
Keith, here's a real life story for you, straight from the horse's mouth. The guy we used to lease land from in Hazelhurst, Mississippi, used to plant the most beautiful green fields you'd ever seen.

Years ago, a guy down the street's cows got out, all 13 of them and wound up on our guy's land on one of his large green fields.

He corralled the cows into a fenced in area. Later that evening the guy who owned the cows knocked on his door to get his cows.

Our guy told him sure, you can have them. That will be $39.00, $3.00 a head for grazing my green fields, a pretty good deal if you ask me.

The guy paid up and his cow's never got loose again.

Keith, don't even think about shooting another person's animals, you will get into a ton of trouble.

I say corral them like our guy did and charge him a fee to get 'em back.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 03:27:29 pm »
You're neighbor says repair the fence would cost too much.

You say you cut your fence for easy access to the woods without climbing over fence.
So why did you cut your fence when a gate makes much more sense?

I think there are issues with both you and your neighbor in this matter.

I guess I should have been a little clearer. I have two fences. One surrounds my fields that is the one I want to cut. On the other side of that fence is another 300 meters of forest, which then is the property line. Then another property owner has a long narrow piece all wooded (maybe 50 feet wide but two miles long) Then is the neighbor in question. He has a few thousand acres of fields. So the neighbor in question does'nt actually border me. My immediate neighbor has the same feelings I do, he leases his land to hunt and the cows eat his food plots as well. When they are done eating his food plots they come eat the clover out of my fields.

JP would I shoot them? Probably not, but it just makes me mad that I have to change the way I enjoy my land because someone else chooses to neglect his

Keith

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 03:31:58 pm »
Wait, so your fence is still up?  I'm with the sheriff on this one then... unless they are flying cows I don't see how they are getting into your field if your fence is still in-tact.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 04:04:44 pm »
It would be much easier if you lived west of the Mississippi.  The homesteading acts that lead to much of the settling of the west created a whole different standard of land use and water rights than is used east of the Mississippi which is based on English Common law.
In either case, though, a property owner has the right to catch and detain stray animals on his property and place a lien on them for damages.  These damages can include , but not necessrially limited to: damage to fences, buildings, crops, water contamination, and grazing fees.

Your "Neighbor' is using you and your immediate neighbor's property for free pasture.  Until you take some action that makes him realize that his actions are going to cost him more than repairing his fence he will continue to take advantage of the situation.

That's my opinion.  I know a contracter who makes deals to share the equipment used on construction jobs with his subcontractors.  He then bills the subcontractor for using his equipment and denies using any of the subcontractor's equipment.  He's now a Millionaire.
Moral:  Cheating pays if people let you cheat.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 05:02:35 pm »
I like JP's solution if your feild is still fenced in and you can catch the cows out.  Put a gate in and leave the gate open for the cows to get in through.

The another solution is to round up all of the cow patties and leave them on the neighbor's porch and tell him that he left something of his on your property.  But that sounds like too much work...
Rick

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 05:05:21 pm »
I like JP's solution if your feild is still fenced in and you can catch the cows out.  Put a gate in and leave the gate open for the cows to get in through.

The another solution is to round up all of the cow patties and leave them on the neighbor's porch and tell him that he left something of his on your property.  But that sounds like too much work...

Now there is a solution I can get behind ;)

Keith

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 10:32:34 pm »

Now there is a solution I can get behind ;)

Keith

Getting behind cow patties usually gets a person splattered!   :-D
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 05:48:20 pm »
If he has the money to buy the livestock he has money for fencing. I would load up one head bring it the the slaughterhouse and fill my freezer. Consider it as payment for any damage.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 07:02:32 pm »
dont shoot any cows or other animals on your property or not, you would have wished you would have let him graze his cows on your land for free when it was all said and done, if you were planning to shoot them you might as well just buy the cows from him first and at lest save on Lawyer and court cost. the only way is to catch them on your land and take pictures or corral them some how, other than that a animal not knowing property lines will fall on you.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2022, 01:29:48 pm »
Keith you can do whatever you are big enough to do;  :shocked:  :grin: But so can the cow owner.  :cheesy: However, in this case; I would suggest you listen closely to TwT.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2022, 08:39:27 am »
What kind of an investment are we talking to keep these cows out?  Maybe you could take him to small claims.  If he doesn't pay you put a lien on his property.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

salvo

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2022, 11:02:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

Shoot. Shovel. Shutup!

Or,.... maybe this advice. Works for horses and whales:

https://www.iflscience.com/the-us-forest-service-guide-to-completely-obliterating-a-horse-with-explosives-65031

Sal

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2022, 11:41:02 pm »
Hi Folks,

Shoot. Shovel. Shutup!

Or,.... maybe this advice. Works for horses and whales:

https://www.iflscience.com/the-us-forest-service-guide-to-completely-obliterating-a-horse-with-explosives-65031

Sal

> Shoot. Shovel. Shutup!

😂
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2022, 07:51:27 am »
You can sue him in small claims court for the grass they ate and any damage they have done.  You can't just shoot them.  I suppose if he has no way to prove they are his cows you can make him prove it to take the cows back...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin