Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top entrance and honey supers  (Read 1776 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Top entrance and honey supers
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:09:53 am »
I have been researching top entrances and would like to try a few hives with them this season.  Skunk issues have made it seem a wise way to go.  When honey supers are added does your entrance move up with each super?  And why do some say mice are not a problem with top entrances.  Seems like they could crawl up and climb in no matter how high the entrance is.  Just curious, thanks :).
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Top entrance and honey supers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:37:01 am »
You can keep the entrance where it is (mid entrance)
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,11577.msg77458.html#msg77458

or keep moving it to the top.

Either way, you still get the same issues with doing inspections. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:21:38 pm »
You can keep the entrance where it is (mid entrance)
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,11577.msg77458.html#msg77458

or keep moving it to the top.

Either way, you still get the same issues with doing inspections. 

Thanks for the link.  Looked from it that the "issues" are mainly the "tornado" of bees looking for the entry while you are inspecting the hive.  Are there any other "issues" and do the benefits outweigh the costs?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:05:57 pm »
Standing in the tornado is just part of it, and didn't really bother me,  but it could for less experienced beeks.  My biggest issue was trying to replace supers removed for inspections.  With bees in the hive boiling out the top trying to leave the hive,  and bees crawling up the front and over the lip looking for the entrance,  it is impossible to put a super back on without crushing a bunch of bees.  Even using the slide or twist into place method doesn't really work as the bees continue to head for the opening as it is reduced.

There were no benefits to me that outweighed these inspection difficulties.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything