Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: entrance guard '' the quarantine''  (Read 1662 times)

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
entrance guard '' the quarantine''
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:18:28 pm »
has any one ever used it .book says queen ands drones can not come or go.  is this a way to stop a hive from swarming?
your frend   hardtime

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: entrance guard '' the quarantine''
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:56:36 pm »
Reducing the entrance(s) to the point that only the workers can come and go is a very good way to strangle a hive to death.

The idea of the quarantine entrance is to keep swarms from obsconding after capture.  It is meant as a temporary solution to a common problem.  Long term it is a death sentence.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:45:04 pm »
I have had a few around over the years.  They are just an excluder for the entrance.  You can accomplish the same thing by putting an excluder on the bottom board.  They cause problems because the drones can't get out and they pile up and die.  But they are useful for a short time when installing a package or hiving a swarm because the queen can't get out for them to abscond.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:55:29 pm »
I have also heard some use them at the end of the day to collect drones at the front of the entrance for semen, etc. You know by this trick that you are collecting older drones who are primed to mate.

As for swarm control. No...bad idea.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything