Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Playing doctor with my hives, hee, hee, (stethascope)  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Playing doctor with my hives, hee, hee, (stethascope)
« on: December 21, 2007, 11:02:06 am »
I recall someone saying instead of kicking the hive to hear if the bees are alive within, to use a stethescope,  :-D

I checked out the prices of these apparatus and they are inexpensive, so I bought one.  So the other day I took a walk out to the wild blue yonder and looked at the hives.  Pretty quiet, but I did see two colonies that had quite a few bees on the landing boards, flying away, coming back from flying and just hanging out.  These are obviously colonies that are a little stronger.

I had my stethescope in hand and decided to listen to each colony.  They are housed in two deeps.  I put the stethescope on all parts of both boxes in all the colonies.  What a rucous.  Very obviously the bees are alive and doing well.  The top and bottom deeps all sounded the same, no matter where I placed this disc.  I would venture that this means that the colonies are all over the place inside, probably, and of course in a pretty condensed cluster, or maybe not condensed.  It was reasonably warm that day, so I would imagine that they have broken cluster somewhat.  But, all alive and doing well.

Now, what I need to do is go out when it is very cold (like this morning) and see if I hear the bees' sound all over, as I did the other day.

It is cold, it is about -4C (24F), so I know for surely that they are in cluster.  So, that is my agenda once the kids go to school, when I let out the chickenyard critters.  I'll post tomorrow what I find.  Great day, great life, love our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Burl

• House Bee
Re: Playing doctor with my hives, hee, hee, (stethascope)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 03:49:01 pm »
 Hey Cindi ,  You are so right about the stethescope .. I think the sound of the bees in their hives is a cheerful sound .  If I listen very carefully I can hear them humming Christmas carols right now ( at -28 C. ) .  And yes, they hum because they don't know the words .  But , if they did , it might go like this: "deck the combs with gobs of honey , bz,bz ,bz ,bz , bz bzzz,bz ,bz ,bz".
But seriously , something else you would probably enjoy using your stethescope for is to listen to the chicks ( as in baby chickens ) before they hatch .  You have a superbulous , fantabulous day .  And remember , always keep the shiney side up .        ---Burl--- a real cheep humdinger
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:45:02 pm »
I can just picture Cindi walking all around her property with the stethescope poking it up against all the animals so she can hear what goes on inside.

Funny song Burl.

Have a wonderful holiday
Annette

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 01:40:50 am »
Now I have to get a stethascope.  so many things to listen to, insides of beehives, incubating eggs, general health of livestock, and maybe I can use it to track down the mice and moles by putting it to the ground.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 02:11:14 am »
I want one too!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:46:47 am »
Burl, Annette, Brian, hee, hee, hee, look what has started now, eeks!!!!  This all began when I recalled a post by qa33010, when he told us that he used a stethescope to hear if things are well.  Now we are all going to play doctor with the stuff in the barnyards.  Look what he started!!!!!    Never thought about the moles or the unhatched chicks either, hee, hee.  :-D ;) :)

A word of caution though, they are so sensitive,when I put the disc against the wood on the boxes, you have to be careful you don't bang the disc on the wood, because it can really bug your ears, it is so loud.  You will know that I mean and remember what I said when you go out there playing doctor and you knock the stethescope against something, beware, careful, and I am not kidding.  I have super sensitive hearing to begin with and I think I am now a little less of an eagle ear.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=11758.msg79666#msg79666

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline EOHenry

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 04:30:31 pm »
A source for a cheap stethascope maybe your local ambulamce company.  They are continuely replacing or upgrading their equipment.  A little trade of some honey may help.  Another way to ck your hives is with an infrared camera.  I use these amazing tools on the job at my fire dept.

Henry

I bee a firefighter.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 05:04:52 pm »
Cindi,
Thank You for a great idea. My brother has one of those electronic types with headphones laying around the shop, so I headed down to the beeyard ( sunny and 45 ) with it and the pooch. I get there to find some activity in front of the hives in all but one, so I went to work and listened with this electronic stethoscope. Eight of the nine hives have the tell-tale sound of happy humming bees. I did not bother to open the quiet one, that'll have to wait for a better day.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 08:29:35 am »
That's really awesome Cindi!!!  Thanks for the idea!  My wife used to be a nurse in a old folks home many years ago so I just dug out her old stethascope.  Gunna give it a try this coming weekend when I have some free time.  Very cool!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 09:24:27 am »
You do not need stethoscope. A piece of plastic tube 3-4 foot long  is enough. Put one end in your ear and the other in or very close to the entrance and you will hear everything inside. I do this every  winter.
mat

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 09:52:53 am »
They are also useful for locating the main hive-nest when doing a cutout in a building.
Rick

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 10:17:04 am »
You do not need stethoscope. A piece of plastic tube 3-4 foot long  is enough. Put one end in your ear and the other in or very close to the entrance and you will hear everything inside. I do this every  winter.

:-D

Ever have a bee fly in the other end and ................................ :evil:

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 02:45:29 pm »
 No, never happened. But that's why I use cleat tube.  ;)
mat

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 03:39:51 pm »
I just place my ear against the side. Another benefit to having hives on a stand. ( I am also tall and hate lifting from soooo low!) If they aren't flying, it reassure me they are alive.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 02:09:41 am »
  Cindi,

I'm sorry I didn't warn you about the intense noise.  My hearing is also real sensitive with noise, problems with words and such, and I am continuously banging the disc.  I get a little relief with a crochet little bag for the disc end but I still have to be careful since the bag also makes quite a bit of noise when pulling it off.  Beside it keeps it from getting too cold for the patients...  I..I... mean...uh...hive boxes. ;)
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 10:33:16 am »
qa33010.  Yes, shame on you, you should have warned me, hee, hee  :-P :).  I am very cautious with the disc on the stethescope, now.  It is really quite remarkable how the sound is transmitted from one part to the other, I think the crocheted thing would cause quite a bit of noise too, come to think about it, but it is worth a try for sure.

Mat, I meant to tell you, I love the picture of the flower on your avatar.  Don't know why, but it stuck out.

The pictures on other people's avitars are cool too.  I even like the steel man on Old Timer's, contrary to what some people think, hee, hee.  I think that I have to find one that would be good for me too, I am taking an example of what my forum friends are doing with theirs.  Have the best and most wonderful day, Cindi

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 04:59:39 pm »
Just to be safe, I think I am going to buy stock in whatever company sells stethoscopes.    :evil:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')