Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding  (Read 2006 times)

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
Feeding
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:58:03 am »
Bees have been out like crazy over the last few days. I'm going to crack them open this afternoon (expected 70f and sunny) and was wondering if it's too early to feed some Ultra Bee patties? Seems like maybe we're due for a very mild winter and I expect the ladies will be laying. I'll find out in a few hours.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:33:05 pm »
I normally don't throw pollen in the hive until feb.   Keep the patties small.  They are a buffet for SHB.  Small bits allow the bees to eat it all up before the beetles can ruin it.   If your hives have plenty of honey stores, give it a try this early.  Just remember, a whole lot of hives starve in March. 

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:27:13 am »
I don't like using them.  One of my hives had pollen pellets all over the landing board yesterday.
Every forager Was carrying a load of pollen in and the amount coming in seemed massive!
I am lucky to live down here where it's nice and warm so we get pollen coming in all winter long. 
Nothing else for the poor foragers to do at this time. No nectar available
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:37:37 am »
There's some pollen coming in right now but not the big fat pouches yet. Inspection went well. Lots of honey stored up! I fed them pretty well back in September, October. Almost zero SHB! Everything looked clean and good except 1 of the 3 is smaller than I'd like. Almost no brood, just a little. Maybe I'll start feeding in a few weeks if the brood builds up.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 11:30:13 am »
I opened mine yesterday and found heavy SHB infestation. Today I will start feeding some and treat all for SHB. Other than that, they looked pretty good. As Allen hinted, it is a long time till spring.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:11:10 pm »
So, are my girls better at keeping SHB at bay or is it just that the bees are new here on the property? I know they fly in from distances but they also pupate in the ground around the hives.
 In my new setup (to be built very soon) I plan to have woven ground cloth all around under them to discourage larvae from finding ground. I also plan to treat with beneficial nematodes in the soil (will soak through the fabric when applied). I LOVE the species of nematodes I use in the greenhouse for fungus gnats and shore flies. Hoping the one for SHB is as effective.

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 02:27:12 pm »
I've been feeding patties for a month here, it is tricking to keep the SHB out of them.
High in sugar,soft and with an attractant helps. It's important to watch the amounts closely as well.

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Re: Re: Feeding
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 03:26:44 pm »
Not to get this thread off topic but:
what if you find the SHB in the hire this time of the year here in the north east , what can you do about it?