Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new guy  (Read 2072 times)

Offline smoakingun

• New Bee
new guy
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:23:56 pm »
Ok. I've been lurking around here for a few months now,I live in Melrose, Fl. I guess I should make an introduction.
I just brought home my first bees Monday. I am already learning about my bees, and the differences in the hives, it's pretty neat but there is still much to learn. I have been getting a little mentoring from a friend in Jacksonville, but I sure would like to meet some folks a little closer. Is there anyone here from the Keystone Heights/ Melrose area?
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.

Offline RC

• House Bee
Re: new guy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:48:28 pm »
You've got some good bee people around you. The Alachua bee club is pretty close and is headed up by a great guy. AmericasBeeKeeper is also near by. The Dadant branch is in High Springs. Several beeks around Gainseville, Alachua, High Springs, Jacksonville. SawdustMaker is over there somewhere. You're in good company. Welcome to the addiction.

Offline smoakingun

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:14:08 am »
I work with sawdustmaker. He's the guy who is sort of mentoring me :th_thumbsupup: , but he is 90 miles away. Alachua is much closer.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:36:33 am »
Welcome to the forum, smoakingun. Having sawdustmaker as a mentor would be good. You may also want to join your local bee club, they can bee a big help too.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 01:25:26 pm »
Well... It's about time you registered Smoak. :-D
Welcome to the forum. Hope the weather is clears enough for your inspection this weekend.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:41:01 pm »
Welcome and enjoy
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline smoakingun

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:48:18 pm »
I registered back in September :-D
I also took the chance and inspected the hives today. :'(
one hive looks great, the other doesn't seem to be doing much in the top box.
the local beekeepers club meets later this month, I will be at that meeting.

anything