Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: plywood  (Read 4877 times)

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
plywood
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:12:12 pm »
Okay  silly question  why doesn't anyone use plywood for hive bodies???

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: plywood
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:21:06 pm »
Durability. I have used it for bottom boards. Some are still in service, some have delaminated over the years.  I have found that Advantec holds up very well. It is just so heavy.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:52:30 pm »
I have used 7 layer 3/4 inch for all mine.  yes, it is heavy, but i like the solid feel.  i just use a L shaped joint on the short ends and screw from that side, I think that is called box joint-not sure.  mine are solid and no problems with good latex paint to repel water. 
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:37:57 pm »
I have used 7 layer 3/4 inch for all mine.  yes, it is heavy, but i like the solid feel.  i just use a L shaped joint on the short ends and screw from that side, I think that is called box joint-not sure.  mine are solid and no problems with good latex paint to repel water. 
I think you mean a rabbit.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:58:35 pm »
Yes, rabbit, but it's rabbet, not rabbit.  I googled it.  I wonder why it's called rabbet?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:27:23 pm »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:13:49 pm »
I know there was several hundred 4 frame nucs made from 1/4 inch plywood. They are stacked up now getting ready to be filled again.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 06:41:30 pm »
KathyP

Now that's what I call research.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:21:17 pm »
Yes, rabbit, but it's rabbet, not rabbit.  I googled it.  I wonder why it's called rabbet?

Is that what Elmer Fudd really meant when said, "Come here you wascully wabbet?"
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:17:18 pm »
I recently bought a router and router table in the hopes of making my own boxes with rabbet joints.  Of course, realized I have to rip the 1"x8" to 1" x 6 5/8", requiring a table saw.  Since ripping with circular will be somewhat tricky, I'm intrigued with the idea of plywood.  Any other disadvantages other than weight (will be for medium supers, so shouldn't be too strenuous)?  I would paint them to help prevent warping, etc.

I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 06:09:52 pm »
You can get a used tablesaw for $50 or so without much trouble that will rip.  Why wouldn't the plywood need to be ripped too?

It will take alot boxes to recoup your expenses to make your own, if you ever do.  I have all the equipment I need including routers, tablesaw, nail guns, etc. but I buy mine unless I find some free wood.  The cost savings is minimal buying the wood and doing it yourself and when labor is considered, it is much cheaper to buy them. 

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:15:13 pm »
I recently bought a router and router table in the hopes of making my own boxes with rabbet joints.  Of course, realized I have to rip the 1"x8" to 1" x 6 5/8", requiring a table saw.  Since ripping with circular will be somewhat tricky, I'm intrigued with the idea of plywood.  Any other disadvantages other than weight (will be for medium supers, so shouldn't be too strenuous)?  I would paint them to help prevent warping, etc.

You can rip almost as straight with a circular saw as you can with a table saw by clamping a straight piece (like the factory edge of plywood) for the sole plate of the saw to ride against to your work piece.  Unless you have a pretty good table saw this is better and safer anyway.  It helps if the piece you are cutting is supported so that the off cut won't fall away.  This principle is the basis of a simple jig that almost replaces a table saw for safely breaking down sheet goods.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:10:16 am »
You can get a used tablesaw for $50 or so without much trouble that will rip.  Why wouldn't the plywood need to be ripped too?

It will take alot boxes to recoup your expenses to make your own, if you ever do.  I have all the equipment I need including routers, tablesaw, nail guns, etc. but I buy mine unless I find some free wood.  The cost savings is minimal buying the wood and doing it yourself and when labor is considered, it is much cheaper to buy them. 
I find that cost for materials is slightly less than buying from one of the bee supply companies. Shipping is the killer. It almost doubles the cost. So for me that makes building supers worthwhile. I still would buy frames.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 11:39:14 am »

I find that cost for materials is slightly less than buying from one of the bee supply companies. Shipping is the killer. It almost doubles the cost. So for me that makes building supers worthwhile. I still would buy frames.

Your right, shipping can be a killer.  I do have a source about 35 minutes away that can get anything from Dadant and I can go to Dadant in FL in about 1.5 hours.  So it just depends.  Likely the gas is less than the shipping for me. 

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 12:35:38 pm »
I bought a 4x8 sheet of popular plywood (7 ply) at HomeDepot for $48 in December.  I made 7 mediums and a vac from it.  We already have all the tools which sit ideal most of the time.  So I come out way ahead-I think.  How much is an unpainted med.?  Why popular?  It's heavy and strong, doesn't warp.  I've seen some pine ply that will warp in wet conditions painted.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher