Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drawing comb  (Read 2637 times)

Offline heidip

• New Bee
Drawing comb
« on: April 24, 2006, 03:18:52 pm »
Hi, I'm a total Newbee here..and hived my first package on 9 April...unfortunately the rep from our club that demo'd before we went home put an inner cover and then an outer cover, over the hive top feeder..so many of the newbees in our group have had an issue with bees drowning in the hive top feeder...so I packaged on the 9th and once I found out, removed the inner cover on the 15th..no drowning since, which is good...but I'm wondering if I lost too many bees, as this weekends inspection only showed me (using a 10 frame deep) that only two of my frames were drawn out (#5,6 counting from the edge) frames 4, 7 were only drawn in the top corners and the others nothing at all...I did see some larvae, can't quite make out the eggs yet..and did see my queen...it just seems to me that more comb should be drawn out..and I'm wondering if I lost too many bees from drowning and don't have enough workers to provide the necessary comb, I'm sure I lost a hundred or more...they're so little that it's hard for me to estimate. I'd appreciate any feedback and more than a little encouragement? thanks.  :(
hp

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Drawing comb
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 03:23:48 pm »
They will draw it as they need it.  It's a little early for them yet, so they just drew what they needed I think.  Do you have capped brood? If so, don't worry, you will soon have more bees and more workers drawing wax.  Just keep them fed.

Too bad your teacher screwed you guys up with the inner cover thing.

Offline heidip

• New Bee
Drawing comb
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:30:28 pm »
I did see some capped brood, though only a few cells...I have been keeping them fed and they are flying and coming back with pollen...it's like watching a fish tank, I go out there every day and just watch! Thanks!
hp

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Drawing comb
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:08:05 pm »
I have a lawn chair next to mine. My neighbors probably think I'm nuts because there is NOTHING else in that part of the yard that would warrant having a lawn chair.

Everytime I get done mowing the lawn I grab a beer and have a seat and watch BTV

Offline heidip

• New Bee
Drawing Comb
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 03:32:09 pm »
Hi, I took a quick peek today as it's a beautiful day, just to make sure things were progressing...and YES! frames 4 and 7 on the insides were almost completely drawn out..and frame 5 that loads of capped brood! I'm excited! As soon as I saw that I closed things up..as I didn't want to disturb them too much. I did see some cells near the capped brood, with larvae in them and it looked like the bees were building up the comb around them higher than others? is that part of the process before they're capped? it just seems that the edges around those few cells were much higher than others? heidip
hp

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Drawing Comb
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 03:43:21 pm »
I did see some cells near the capped brood, with larvae in them and it looked like the bees were building up the comb around them higher than others? is that part of the process before they're capped? it just seems that the edges around those few cells were much higher than others?

They are drone cells
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline heidip

• New Bee
Drawing comb
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 03:46:53 pm »
thanks! I learned something new today!  :D I understand that to help combat varroa that it's good to put a shallow frame into your deep, then the bees will draw out their own comb in the empty space at the bottom and fill it all with drone brood, which you can then cut off? when would you add that shallow frame or is it not necessary unless you see a lot of mites?
hp

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Drawing comb
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 03:49:07 pm »
Drawing Comb....

Heidi - the temp at night here has been to cold and damp too.  that will stunt them to drawing comb.  

As long as you are seeing progress,  that's a good sign.  Once the brood that you see now is hatched  ( a few more days) then those bees will be primed for makeing wax and things should take off.....

Good Luck.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

anything