Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Great Video on TED  (Read 1584 times)

Offline JasonP

• New Bee
Great Video on TED
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:02:35 am »
Just thought I'd post this Video link, of course it's nothing we already don't know but I thought it was a good talk.
Enjoy
Jason :)

http://www.ted.com/talks/noah_wilson_rich_every_city_needs_healthy_honey_bees.html

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
Re: Great Video on TED
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:21:11 am »
Right.......bees do well in the city because of the pollen that gets picked up and brought in by trains.....

Deknow

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:43 am »
Hmmm, I didn't hear where he said that.  I heard him say that linden trees are used along the tracks.  I know my city bees visit a lot of linden trees because they are used for city landscaping a lot.  That's a little different than "bringing in pollen on trains".  City flows are often extended because of the diversity of plants in gardens and parks.  From what I understand, plant diversity is a good thing.  And often missing in the 'country'.

Don't knock city bees.  Mine are doing quite well.  I grew from 3 hives to 6 this year and gave away 2 and harvested 6 gallons of honey from the 2 established ones we pulled from.  There are healthy bees in the city.

love,
ziffa

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:29 am »
> I didn't hear where he said that.

Try starting about 6:19

"Perhaps there's more pollen in the cities with the trains coming into urban hubs, they can carry pollen with them, very light pollen and it's just a big supermarket in the city. A lot of linden trees live along the railroad tracks."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:44:28 am »
Ok, relistened and he did say it.  :embarassed:  Well, that's just silly. 

But city bees still rock!  :-D

love,
ziffa

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »
I heard it and thought, "Is he crazy" Like James Baluci, he was on a roll so I let it go.  :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JasonP

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:36:22 am »
Agree, thought that bit about the whole pollen on trains was a bit odd, but I thought well he's the one with the PHD. Enjoyed the rest of it though.

anything