Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ok, that was a rush..  (Read 6809 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: ok, that was a rush..
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 11:35:15 am »
Jody, OK you made me laugh!!!  Now I picture JP sitting there trying to cut off every single hairy hair in his armpit with my green snips.  But remember, Frantz said that they made up to his place, and he said they were pink, so go figure that one!!!  Somehow JP with his magical touch turned them pink before he sent them up to Frantz.  Oh how I love the kidding and joshing on the forum with my forum friends, hee, hee.

Watching those bees poke the slug with their front legs is very interesting.  I know that bees will take that defensive stance when guarding, like you are describing, I haven't personally seen it, but it seems that they kind of stand on their back legs and uplift the front.  Is that what you were kind of seeing?  Beauty, have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 12:05:10 pm »
Cindi, exactly but they actually hit the slug w the front feet.  They do it to my fingers too!  Maybe they didn't want to sting the slug cause it's slow, so gross & they don't want to get slimed?  Another gorgeous day today!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 07:14:30 pm »
My wife and I have had our first hive for only a couple months and we still suit up.  I'd rather focus on being relaxed for right now and getting used to the activities without a lot of concern for getting zapped.

Last week she powdered them without gloves and today I did the same, well sort of.  I only removed my gloves after I put back the first super, and I was amazed at the little breeze I felt welling up through the hive as I had my hands over it.  Are they doing all that fanning?  I never noticed it with gloves.  And it was great getting a feeling for pulling out super frames bare handed.  Definitely a lot more control and to my knowledge didn't squish a single bee.  No stings either, but they seem so calm anyway.  I know their disposition is bound to change at some point, but I am amazed.  Only 1 sting for each of us so far, and mine was stepping on a bee barefooted by the hive.  And I don't have any interest in not using my veil.  It doesn't bother me at all and after seeing some of you guys putting your face pictures up, I think I'd like to postpone that little pleasure as long as I can!   :shock:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 07:24:27 pm »
I guess I'll have to post a pic of my arm pit, sans the snippers of course! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:42 am »
Tlyn.  You noticed a current of air, that is cool.  Yes, hundreds and hundreds of bees fanning can create quite an air current.  That is why it is important to have good ventilation in a hive.  Going without gloves you will get used to pretty darn quickly.  And...another cool thing about going gloveless is that when you come even close to a bee you can feel them, that way they are not harmed.

I remember one day last wintertime I was outside observing my colonies.  It was a sunny day, but well below 0 celsius, so it was ding dang cold.  I, being the nosey person that I am, wanted to look closely into one of the colonies.  I removed the entrance reducer and stuck my head close to the entrance. The likelihood of a bee coming out was remote, they were in the winter cluster.  As I placed my face close to this entrance, I felt like I had put my head into a warm and balmy day, somewhere in the South Pacific.  The warmth coming from inside the colony that was so clearly felt.....That took me to wonderful places in my mind's eye.  I pictured myself down on a warm beach, basking in the sun.  Now that may seem weird, but I clearly recall this feeling, this beautiful emotion of warmth and happiness, and the scent of the hive made it even more memorable.  Inside the bee colony is very warm, like that beautiful and warm sunny day.  Oh dear, I do so ramble sometimes....beautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' and livin' this lovely life we all share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 01:13:17 am »
Cindi--well I s'pose that's why we live in Florida!  Are you anywhere close to Squamish?  My wife and I went camping there last year.  Beautiful area!

Yea, was a bit nervous when I felt them walking on my hands, wondering it I was going to get tagged.  Main fear is reacting to a sting by dropping the frame.

Tracy

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:29 am »
That is also my biggest fear.  Tomorrow I'll have three whole weeks experience in beekeeping.  As soon as I start pulling frames I start sweating.  I'm so nervous that I'm going to drop a frame or crush some bee (or the queen) pulling frames.  Especially putting them back.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 11:55:35 am »

Yea, was a bit nervous when I felt them walking on my hands, wondering it I was going to get tagged.  Main fear is reacting to a sting by dropping the frame.

That is also my biggest fear.  Tomorrow I'll have three whole weeks experience in beekeeping.  As soon as I start pulling frames I start sweating.  I'm so nervous that I'm going to drop a frame or crush some bee (or the queen) pulling frames.  Especially putting them back.
[/quote]

For me, the bee stings don't feel the same as hornets, it starts as a small burning sensation, the first time I had to really look to see that I was stung...the hit comes a few minutes later as the venom moves through the tissue.  Plenty of time to carefully replace the frame & scrape stinger out!  You will get more confident as you work w/your ladies more.  I was never afraid of stings, just hurting a bee!  Just move carefully & slowly.  As you get to know the bees behavior you sort of know (in a VERY general way) what they will do, how they move about the frames & hive & which hive is calmer. Been stung by the green team tons, nary a one from the blue..this could all change in an instant though depending on what the girls are up to & protecting!  Jody

Offline klesage121

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 12:34:03 pm »
Jody that is my fear to being a new keeper that i'm not going to not recognize or see the queen and either drop her or squash her while fooling with the frames.  I would absolutely kick myself if my strong hive was to take a nose dive for something i happen to do accidentally.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 12:43:30 pm »
If your queen lets you see her she shines like a beacon..no mistaking her at all. She also moves differently than worker bees, marching is what members here describe, & it's true!!  I've only seen one of mine one time.  They scoot away from the light so just be very slow & careful giving time for her to move & you should be fine!  Jody

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 02:03:10 pm »
Tracy, I don't live near Squamish, I have never been there, but I know it is a beautiful place.  Squamish is kind of northwest of Vancouver, about 2 hours drive.  I am kind of northeast of Vancouver, about 1 hour, different direction as you can see.  From my place Squamish is about a three hour drive.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' our great life.  Cindi