Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queenless and not sure what to do.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline VTnewbee

• New Bee
Queenless and not sure what to do.
« on: August 28, 2009, 06:45:12 pm »
I asked this question in the General Beekeeping section and then realized there was a "Requeening" section.  Sorry, you're not suffering from deja vu!

My bees swarmed approximately 2 weeks ago and I was hoping the remaining colony would make a new queen.  My husband and I did an inspection on Monday and again this afternoon, hoping to find a queen or eggs and we still haven't seen any.  The one hopeful thing is that we did find maybe 10 or so open queen cells and maybe a couple unopened ones, but that was it.  There's still a nice population of bees there and tons of honey and pollen and some capped brood, but no sign of a laying queen at the moment.  What do you suggest I do?  Continue being patient in hopes that some of those open queen cells produced a soon to be viable queen, or order a queen right away?  Is it too late to requeen in Vermont?  The one place I planned on getting a queen from if I ever needed to requeen is out for the year, so if I do need to order one, I'd love to hear any suggestions on where to get one.  Thanks everyone!

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
Re: Queenless and not sure what to do.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:00:10 pm »
Give them another week... Going from a virgin queen to a mated and fully laying queen sometimes takes several weeks. She may be in there, it's too early to tell... and when she does start laying her pattern may be a little weird at first (she has to get the hang of it).

Have a backup plan (i.e. call around for availability of mated queens) just in case.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline VTnewbee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:07:03 pm »
Thank you Cheryl!  By back-up plan, I assume you mean ordering a queen?  I'm not sure I have any other option considering the fact that I only have one hive.  I know people with multiple hives sometimes combine two but I don't have that option unfortunately!  But hopefully they'll succeed in raising a new queen.  Fingers are crossed!

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:53 pm »
By backup plan, I mean checking around for availability and maybe placing a "hold" on one, that you can cancel later if you find your queen.

My guess is she's in there and you'll know soon enough. :D
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:14:21 pm »
Anytime there is a question, I give them a frame of eggs and open brood and I've covered both the question and the answer.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything