Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So what happens to double yolkers?  (Read 16709 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: So what happens to double yolkers?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 01:15:06 pm »
I am sorry to have to disagree that most of the eggs sold in stores are fertile.
The egg producers do not  feed males for egg production.
Most are cage layers, 5 to the square foot.
Fertile eggs for the purpose of hatching are produced from a flock free to run loose in the chicken house. Ratio, one rooster to 5 hens.
So if you have a house with 5,000 layers for egg production, you would feed 1,000 roosters for no purpose. Does this make any seance? :)doak

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 05:00:12 pm »
I am not sure I follow, who said most eggs in the stores are fertile? I saw a couple of posts back that most of the eggs sold in the stores are INfertile.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 05:04:17 pm »
Yes, you are right.
Sorry, I misread.
Please forgive me.
doak

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 12:37:52 am »
NO WAY, that is UNFORGIVEABLE!!   :-D How dare you be human and make a mistake. :)
There is no problem, I just thought I was missing something at first and then read it a couple of times and tried to figure it out, just making sure I was following this correctly, mostly because I have had so many people who either buy my eggs or I give them to question me about this very subject.
I am trying to educate myself about this for my customers.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 10:47:17 am »
I wish I could find people to buy my eggs. I have a refrigerator full. Figured I am going to package up a bunch tomorrow and give them to the food bank before they get to old.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 12:50:54 pm »
Jerry, oh that is a bummer.  Do you like pickled eggs?  Ever tried one, oh they are so ding dang yummy.  That is what I do when I have an over-abundance of eggs, rarely happens, but hey, ya never know.

Another thing.  Sit up a road side stand for a couple of hours, you would be surprised how many people may drive by and see the home grown, free range eggs, and scoop them up.  Good luck.  Sorry that you may have to give them away, after putting out money for the food for the birds.  Have a great and most wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 01:03:25 pm »
Got a sign out front.... yes people see it. Craigslist, two local yahoo groups, Posters scattered about. Word of mouth.  :? what have I missed  :?

People say they want some. I give them directions to get here or mention could make other arrangements, and then I never hear from them again.

Free range chicken eggs!!!! How can you pass them up?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 01:45:53 pm »
I remember we use to buy Double yoke eggs by the dozen in grocery store's back in Louisiana when I was growing up, never seen one hatch, but I haven't paid attention in the store's the last 20 years, wonder if they still sell them? 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 05:57:42 pm »
doak is  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(ing
me

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 08:43:41 pm »
Oh poor doak...its okay. :)

Jerry, maybe you could get a table at a farmer's market this spring. You would definitely sell them there. People go there looking for that kind of stuff.
I just started selling mine, I was just giving them away but now word gets around and people offer to pay me for them, so they are now officially customers.
I trade them for haircuts at the barber shop, and my son who has his own chickens sells them on saturdays up at the shop.
He also has customers at his school, the principal, the school nurse and 2 teachers asked him to bring some in last friday. Not bad money for a 6 year old kid.
I got an e-mail yesterday from a woman I know who wanted to know what I charge because she and some friends want to buy some and I took my daughter to a birthday party today and a mom there heard I have fresh eggs and asked to buy them weekly instead of getting them at the grocery store.
So for me it just kind of happened without really trying, but I plan to sell some at a farmer's market this year as well.
I think if you get a table and sell them people will buy them from you year round even with the markets over for the season.
Do  you have a feed store that could sell them for you?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 05:00:02 am »
I get the chicken food from Tractor Supply. The only other feed store I know of I have been in there once and will never go back. On another occasion my daughter went in there and she will never go back. Those people are stuck up..... Can I say a-holes? Don't know how they get any customers.

Maybe it's just us...... Nawwww

We have thought about the farmers market and perhaps try a road side attempt.

How long can you keep eggs in the refrigerator any hows  :?

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 01:16:33 pm »
Its funny but I get the same feeling from one of the feedstores near me. Hi, they work at a feedstore, not a snotty boutique.
You can keep eggs for a long time. I read an article in mother earth news where they did a study for a year on different methods of keeping eggs to preserve them and even just in the frig they will last 6 months easily.
Nothing bad happens to them except they lose their flavor and their firmness.
How about pickling them? I never like pickled eggs myself but my husband loves them. I just found this recipe in a book I bought and you pickle the eggs with whole canned beets.
The outer eggs turn a pretty purple color but the inner eggs stays white and yellow. They look really pretty when sliced, especially served on top of a salad or as a garnish on a plate.
Now, since I don't like pickled eggs I didn't really want to try these, but they were GOOD!
They have applecider vinegar in them too, they are kind of tangy between the cider vinegar and the beets.
It takes all of 2 minutes to put them in the jar with the ingredients after you boil them.
The thing is, you know how hard it is to peel eggs that are real fresh, use the older ones if you can, they are easier to peel.
If you don't have any that are older, leave some out on the counter for a few days and then cook them, they will have aged enough out of refrigeration to cook and peel easily.
The other trick I have heard is after you boil them, drain the water out of the pan and bang the eggs all around in the pan so they are cracked all over and then fill the pan with ice and water.
Its suppose to make them easier to peel.
If anyone wants the recipe for the pickled eggs and beets let me know and I will post it.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 01:29:36 pm »
Go ahead and post it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 04:35:34 pm »
Oh Doak, you are making me sad.....why are you cryin'?  Are you teasing, or are you upset about something, please speak your mind, friend, be happy, not sad  :) :) :)

Natalie, post that recipe for the pickled eggs, PLEEEEEZE!!!  I have a pot of eggs that I am waiting to hard boil to pickle and can't find a recipe.  Now, isn't it true, that good things happen to those that wait.  And I have been waiting for a recipe, its that law of attraction, you know, smiling.

Anyways.  I have found the clue/key, call it what you will, for peeling hard boiled eggs.

With this method, I could peel a hard boiled egg that had just dropped out of a chicken's bum, hee, hee.

It works EVERY time.  I have done this experiment over and over to see if there is any diversion, nope.  It works.

Hard boil the egg(s)
Remove from the burner
Place the pot in the sink
Run cool water over the eggs
Immediately (and I mean that, as soon as the egg is cool enough to handle), (that only takes about a minute) pick up an egg.
Bang that egg against the side of the pot, under water, (leave the water in the pot)
Now begin to peel that egg above the water, not in it.  The peels come immediately off with nothing sticking, whatsoever
Place that egg back in the water until you are done
You are done

I am a list person too :-D :) :) :)  Have that most wonderfully awesome and great day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »
Alright folks here it is.

Pickled Beets and Eggs

6-12 hard cooked eggs, peeled
8 small beets, cooked peeled and quartered or one 15 ounce can whole beets, drained.
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 red onion sliced

1. Place the eggs and beets in a glass conainer or jar with a tight-fitting lid.

2. Place the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
    Remove form heat and let cool down to lukewarm.

3. Pour the contents of the pot over the eggs and beets.
    Refrigerate for at least a day and eat within 2 weeks.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 06:31:54 pm »
Natalie, oh wonderful.  I will make some with beets and I want some without beets, I imagine the recipe for pickled eggs would be the same, but without beets.  Oh I do so love pickled beets too, yum, yum, thank you for taking the time to post this.  Have a great and awesome day, Cindi

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:54 pm »
No cindi, I'm ok.
But if you are having problems with your hens laying unwanted hard boiled eggs.
Just increase the amount of crushed ice you feed. :roll:doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »
Doak, OK, I think that you may have an odd sense of humour, which I really, really like and that is great, smiling.  Have a wonderful and most awesome day, Cindi

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:45 pm »
Steam fresh eggs don't boil them.  I've peeled even laid that day chicken and quail eggs perfectly with steaming.  Follow all the same steps including rinsing under cold water right after you remove from heat but use a veggie/rice steamer or put a strainer basket on top of a deep pot with a lid and put the eggs in there instead of directly in the water.  You might have to rinse really fresh eggs more than once in cold water while peeling but with practice I only mess up maybe 1 every dozen and then it's usually just a split in the white that isn't noticeable if you aren't slicing them for deviling.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 11:16:49 pm »
Cindi don't worry about doak he is just upset about the beat down I gave him earlier, and I don't want to have to do it again doak  :-D
I gotta tell ya though doak, those crying smilies really get to me, they actually really make me feel bad.
Make some pickled eggs with beets and you will feel better, they are so purty that they make you smile.

Cindi, I think the recipe for pickled eggs is pretty flexible, I didn't have any onion so I just skipped it and they came out fine. I think there is room for substitutions and all that, its not like when you are canning and have to follow things to the letter or risk screwing up the whole batch.

Doak, what do you feed if you want the hens to lay boiled eggs already peeled? It sure would save some time.

anything