Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Questions For You Chickenpeople  (Read 25122 times)

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
Re: Questions For You Chickenpeople
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2009, 01:57:06 pm »
JP,

I also like the outside entrance for the eggs. Having you coop elevated is another good idea. I don't know it that is standard practice in hurricane alley, but it sure keeps the mice from living underneath the coop. I had to elevate mine this year cause it was such a mouse magnet. You will be glad it is elevated. Trust me. ;-)

Jay

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2009, 06:51:05 pm »
JP,

I had to elevate mine this year cause it was such a mouse magnet. You will be glad it is elevated. Trust me. ;-)

Jay
I guess now you will have to put some bling looking shin guards around the legs to keep them critters from climbing up to get in the coup. :lol:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2009, 09:55:16 pm »
I prettyed up the coop a bit today, couldn't stand the plywood look on the front and redid the framing on the front door, wasn't aligning up quite right. Also added some more rungs to the chicken gang plank as they would take a step then slide, take a step, slide, they like the set up much better today. What I didn't count on is how much they absolutely adore the simple perch I made out of 1 x 2's.

Named 4 of the six. Cindy, Bertha, Goldie and Ms. Purdy. Bertha is the boss hen and everyone knows it! Cindy is my little Buff who is in love with me, and not the other way around. (I promise!) :-D

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/November272009?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWv75CCq_PorQE#

...JP

Irwin, let me know if these load for you, ok?
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2009, 02:53:33 am »
You did a real nice job with that coop, JP.

Easter egg chooks are not too good for eating in my experience, and you should be keeping them for eggs anyhow.  You'll find that the eggs are always in high demand.  Orpingtons are better meat chooks.

There is one consideration, though, if you are going to butcher...you will find your numbers diminshing rapidly without a breeding program!

When we feel like it we pluck and freeze a few extra roosters.  I found last year that I had so many though, 20 or 30.  I didn't think of it at the time, but if the same thing happens next year, I'll see if the local crocodile farm wants them.

Lone

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2009, 09:55:37 am »
I prettyed up the coop a bit today, couldn't stand the plywood look on the front and redid the framing on the front door, wasn't aligning up quite right. Also added some more rungs to the chicken gang plank as they would take a step then slide, take a step, slide, they like the set up much better today. What I didn't count on is how much they absolutely adore the simple perch I made out of 1 x 2's.

Named 4 of the six. Cindy, Bertha, Goldie and Ms. Purdy. Bertha is the boss hen and everyone knows it! Cindy is my little Buff who is in love with me, and not the other way around. (I promise!) :-D

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/November272009?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWv75CCq_PorQE#This one worked fine you did a real nice job. But II want to see the one with you with out your beard and cindi aka chicken  :-D :evil:

...JP

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2009, 09:59:20 am »

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/November272009?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWv75CCq_PorQE#

...JP

JP, about the roost - they love a nice roost, but make sure the 2" side is up for them.  The heavy breeds actually prefer 2x4" perches with the wide side up. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2009, 12:45:16 pm »
Ann, I have the wide side up. They use it fine now but do you think it needs to be wider for when they get bigger?

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions everyone. (Sparky, Lone, Ann, skyflyfish, Irwin, Etc...)

Irwin, here's one of Cindy and I: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s8NuMtpnXOv30O4EAo48Cw?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3_7eCE98uNSw&feat=directlink

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2009, 01:18:56 pm »
Ann, I have the wide side up. They use it fine now but do you think it needs to be wider for when they get bigger?

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions everyone. (Sparky, Lone, Ann, skyflyfish, Irwin, Etc...)

Irwin, here's one of Cindy and I: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s8NuMtpnXOv30O4EAo48Cw?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3_7eCE98uNSw&feat=directlink

...JP
Thank's JP you look a bit different with out your beard I keep mine because of my double chin :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2009, 01:26:15 pm »

...JP

Thank's JP you look a bit different with out your beard I keep mine because of my double chin :-D

And I keep mine Irwin because I have no chin! :-D

...JP

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »
Aw, I see a chin there, JP! :)  Greg's always had a full beard, I don't think I'll ever see his chin!  :-D

And you named your favorite chicken Cindi?  How sweet!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2009, 03:24:52 pm »
I see your chin JP :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2009, 07:53:45 pm »
Irwin you see my double chin, my other chin is almost non-existent according to my wife. :-D

Ann, my wife named the little Buff "Cindy" after her sister. I know better than to spell our Rock Lady's name with a "y" at the end, that's a mistake I only made once! :shock:

Our little Buff is the last one in the coop every evening btw. She needs her bedtime story and to be tucked in. She's the only one that needs that little something extra before she's done for the night.

...JP

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2009, 09:04:04 pm »
JP. I think she is in love. I gues she can feel that way untill you get the plans and build that wizbang chicken plucker.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2009, 11:53:44 pm »
JP. I think she is in love. I gues she can feel that way untill you get the plans and build that wizbang chicken plucker.

:shock:

...JP ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2009, 11:09:13 am »
JP, well, well, well, you have officially joined the ranks of the chicken keepers, smiling.  You maka me proud!!!  You did a great job of making that darling little coop for your gals.  I knew when I saw you spell Cindy with a "y" that you were referring to your  Sister-in-Law, I recall her name was the same as me, but with that last letter changed.  Yep, yep, I remember that day when you typed my name incorrectly, smiling, glad you didn't do it again, smiling again.  Oh, yes, lots of smiling going on this morning.  Been doing stuff, so haven't been hanging around much.  Miss you all.

So, those are some pretty cute looking gals you got there, lovely.  I knew that once you got into their lives, that you would be hooked, you have fallen in love, again, your Wife firstly, and now that second set of girls, smiling.   You ain't seen nuthin' yet. You say that you have enough, sure, sure, wait until you begin to look at all the different styles of chickens, you will become a chicken hunter, or maybe your Wife will, one of you for surely will wanna have some more colours, more personalities, you are hooked, you are now held under their spell, as you are the honeybee, hee, hee.

Wait until you get the first egg, now that is gonna make your day.  The sounds that will come from your chicken pen will sometimes make you really wonder what is going on.  Chickens have a very extreme and different array of sounds that they make, all very interesting.  Probably you will find yourself spending lots of time watching them, very therapeutic for relaxation, and never ever for a moment, a dull moment.  Always up to something.  Enjoy your birds JP, I know you will, and one day maybe I'll send Whoppo down, through cyberspace, from wherever he is, and he'll teach you how to look after ducks, smiling.  Mr. Carpenter, Mr. Beekeeper, Mr. Chickenkeeper, Mr. No Beard (ya, what happened to that anyways?), maybe good that you don't have it, the gals may be attracted to it (I mean the chickens, smiling).  Now who's doing the name calling -- in that loving and sisterly way, which there was an icon for a big hug!!!  You deserve one for sure....Have that beautiful, most awesome day, to love and live, with great health.    Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2009, 03:14:40 pm »
All six have names now, how pathetic does that make us? :lol:

Cindi with an "i" aka Rock Lady, you bet I want more chickens! But, ho hum, six is probably the limit for my backyard. We are definitely practicing for when we make that glorious move one day to our place in the country.

Bare with me while I dream for a moment, we will have chickens and guineas and rabbits and goats, already have bees but even more bees and perhaps some turkeys and even a cow or two.

Oh, and the beard is probably coming back.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:44 pm »
When is the move going to take place??  Sounds like a few years aways?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2009, 11:52:12 pm »
All six have names now, how pathetic does that make us? :lol:
Bare with me while I dream for a moment, we will have chickens and guineas and rabbits and goats, already have bees but even more bees and perhaps some turkeys and even a cow or two.
...JP

No, JP, not pathetic, beautiful that you have found names for these gals, lovely.

I will dream with you, and bare with you whilst you do.  Dreaming is what makes our lives the places of joy that we live within, without dreams, we would have no love of life.  You have a dream.  That day, that dream will come forth -- that day when you and your Wife will make that move to your other country home.  It will be a place of serenity, somewhere that you will be able to spend all your time, not just the get-aways that you and her do now, life will be very different.  And just wait!!!   :shock: :) :) :).  You may be sittin' one day inside that barn, on an ol' barn stool, a chicken sitting on each shoulder, maybe a rabbit in your lap, milking a cow, listening to the most peaceful sound on earth -- nothing -- but perhaps there will be that sound of the cow, chawing on some nice food -- serenity, it will be yours to have and to hold, to share with your Wife, that day will come....you have beautiful aspirations -- in the meantime, have that most wonderful day, love our life, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2009, 01:09:05 pm »
Well, I made the mistake of telling my wife about the Guinea hogs http://www.americanguineahogassociation.org/photos.htm I saw at the feed store yesterday. Now she wants one. I told her if we get one, they'll definitely kick us out of the neighborhood, but Ann said "what about pygmy goats?" http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=pygmy+goats&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=NE0VS-KBC8eInQeJ8uXgBg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQsAQwAA

So, here we go again. :idunno:

...JP

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2009, 03:07:47 pm »
Pygmy goats are fun.  Pam has two, named Jack and Jill.  They've been here about 4 years now.  We can give you all kinds of info on them if you wish.  Think of them as dogs with horns... 8-)  They are easy to care for, too!