Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Entrance Feeder(s)  (Read 3873 times)

Offline bullybrink

• New Bee
Entrance Feeder(s)
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:22 pm »
Thanks guys. I am just going to use my top feeders instead.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:27:36 pm by bullybrink »

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: ISO Entrance Feeder(s)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:00:24 pm »
April why dont you go with top feeders? they are easier to refill (without a suit or vail) and you dont cause robbing like you do with a entrance feeder.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline bullybrink

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:12:19 am »
April why dont you go with top feeders? they are easier to refill (without a suit or vail) and you dont cause robbing like you do with a entrance feeder.

Actually I already have top feeders but I have heard some say how much of a pain it is to inspect the hive with these on. I will be getting my first package of bees next week and another package next month and thought that maybe until the colonies get built up a bit it would be better to use an entrance feeder since I will be making frequent inspections at first. Any thoughts?

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:55:34 am »
If you insist on using boardman feeders, give the new bees a break, put it on the center of bottom board, place a block of wood on each side of it, leaving a gap of about 1/2 in on each end.

That way if robbers try to enter, they have to enter on the ends and cross inside the hive to get to the feeder. This helps the few guard bees in a new hive.

Personally I perfer a Qt. Jar on top of the top board with a empty hive box then the cover.

Everyone has their own way.
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:08:20 am »
we probably all have them around because they are horrible and we don't use them.   :-D

two easy ways to feed without having to get into hive.  use bucket feeder on top of inner cover, or as bee-bop does.  use something like 1 gallon quail  waterer with rocks in the dish 50 feet or so from hives.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:56:08 pm »
Devil's advocate here.

I use entrance feeders regularly. I have never seen a hive with a feeder on get robbed before June. They are easy to change, easy to check, and you don't need to open the hive. After June 1st, I use them to open feed away from the hives. I also use top feeders, but not on hives I want to check often. Only on ones that will be left alone for an extended period.

Similar to bee bop, I put the feeder on the outside of the entrance, then block the entrance beside it, leaving only a small opening on the opposite side.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
    • Sweet as can BEE Honey Farm
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:45 am »
I have plenty of them.
Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com