Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapping tank recommendations?  (Read 9246 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Uncapping tank recommendations?
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:41:12 pm »
I've been using a couple uncapping tubs when extracting honey.  They are inexpensive but not user friendly.  I am looking to upgrade to a uncapping tank.  I've looked at the offering from Mann Lake, Brushy Mountain, and Maxant.  Though the Maxant is the most expensive it appears to be the best value for what I am looking for (well built, ease of cleaning, wheeled, comes with cover, holding tank can handle over 20 frames). 

Does anyone have any experience with these and are there some other ones I should review?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Uncapping tank recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:45:07 pm »
Mine is a 30+ yo Kelly tank. I don't know what they go for these days but it's a good ss tank (6').

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:31:45 pm »
I still use the ol plastic tub with a gate in the bottom.  Best value is not have to put in lots of money until really really needed.  Another reason I still use an electric uncapping knife from the 70's and a hand crank extractor.   I'm cheap. 

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:33:16 pm »
I appreciate the feedback but it appears there's a little confusion as to what an uncapping tank is.  Ironically, various manufacturers call them different things as well. 

Here are what I call "uncapping tanks".

Uncapping tank
https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=33323331333733393332
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/page109.html
Capping tank
http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=465
Mobile uncapping stations
http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Uncapping/Mobile-Uncapping-Station
Uncapping bench
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Uncapping-Bench/productinfo/846/

They are all designed to do the same thing and these are what I'm inquiring about.  The "search" function revealed little.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:56:53 pm »
Here is what I call an uncapping tank on the lesser side of the wallet.   (I use one like this.)

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:43:13 pm »
I have the larger Mann lake tank. It is made out of a little thinner metal than the Maxant tank. But, it works very good and does come with a lid. It is so much better than the small uncapping tub I was using. With the new tank I can keep uncapping while the extractor spins. Just keep uncapping and slide the frames down to the end of the tank to wait their turn. I can almost go as fast by myself now as I can with a helper. You will be happy with any of them. If you can afford the Maxant it is a better made tank but, the Mann Lake tank has been working fine for me.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:59:11 am »
johng,

Thanks!  I appreciate your feedback.

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:45 am »
I don't like Brushy mountain one. All of the top edges are sharp and not debur I end up making edge Guards. With the cutting stand it holds only 17 frames as I remember. With a 20 frame extractor.
David
My-smokepole

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:54:08 am »
Water under the bridge now.  I bought the Maxant yesterday.  It's back ordered but I'm not going to need it until July anyway.  Once I install the wheels on Dadant 20-frame extractor stand everything should be much easier to operate, clean, and maneuver.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 10:55:34 pm »
We want to see pics of it in use this summer.   :)