Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive question  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
hive question
« on: June 28, 2009, 02:31:52 am »
ok my two deeps last week were solid brood all frames drawn out, so I go a head and put on a supper with a queen excluder and open my hove for inspection and nothing in my supper? my deeps are brood bound and no honey no pollen what the heck is going on? no bees in the supper as well.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Re: hive question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 03:05:13 am »
If the super you put on was just foundation, the queen excluder may be hindering your progress.  You have alot more luck getting them to go up if the frames are drawn out.  Otherwise, you may need to remove the excluder and see if you can get them to start drawing the foundation. 
-Mike

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:54:27 pm »
queen excluders in my opion are the worst thing ever.  I would pull it off!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 03:58:58 pm »
yup.  take it off.  if your brood boxes are that full, you may need to add another to accommodate the bees that are coming along.  10 frame deeps?  how many full of brood?  if they are not putting stores around the brood, how will they make it through winter?

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:04:22 am »
I have two deeps 20 frams total all have brood larva and eggs very little stores of food.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:20:57 am »
you need another brood box before  you add a honey super.  you can put both on, but no excluder until they are working the honey super.  you may want to skip the excluder all together.  do  it now, or they will swarm.

addition:  when you add the next box, take some of the frames of brood from below and put in the new box.  take them from the center and replace with the new frames of foundation/drawn comb/starter strips.  most of the time, you would not want to break up the brood nest, but since yours is all brood, you have no choice.  put the frames that you pull into the new box, in the center.  with any luck, the queen will take advantage of the empty space in the middle and work her way up.

you may also choose to put the new box under, but that's a lot of work when the hive gets that big.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:35:01 am by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.