Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: things are finally looking up for my hive BUT!!!  (Read 1647 times)

Offline trottet1

• New Bee
things are finally looking up for my hive BUT!!!
« on: September 19, 2013, 08:48:51 pm »
My hive has been everything but easy.  It is my first hive.  It was not very productive at all at first, then things picked up.  I decided at the end of august that it will still have to be wintered as a single deep.  upon an inspection 2 weeks ago, I noticed spotty brood pattern and about 4 queen cells.  everything else looked good.  I made the decision to requeen. I figured, if the colony is not happy with their queen than I shouldn't be either.  The requeening process went very well.  Now, the hive is busier than ever and the single brood chamber has really improved greatly.  Being very new to all this and knowing very little, I am tempted to put that second super on and chance that they will draw it out and use it. My gut tells me that this is a mistake and there is no way they will be able to draw it out in time without wasting valuable resources to do that.  listen to my gut right?   

Moots

Re: things are finally looking up for my hive BUT!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:25:16 pm »
trottet,
I'm a first year beek myself and am in the Deep South....So, I'm unqualified to answer your question on multiple levels.  :laugh:

That being said, I'm thinking your gut is right! 

Good luck to you and your bees.  :)

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:26:53 pm »
I believe your gut is right also.

Offline trottet1

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:02:35 pm »
Dang! I think I knew the answer all along.  I'm just so intimidated by the whole wintering process let alone the added challenge of wintering a single deep

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:28 pm »
Put it on, if they don't do nothing with it - take it off. At least that's my plan.., me and my 3.5 months bee keeping experience talking..,
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:38:14 pm »
Put it on, if they don't do nothing with it - take it off. At least that's my plan.., me and my 3.5 months bee keeping experience talking..,

LOL!!!!

About my length of experience and I just did the same thing a week or so ago. I stuck on the last medium-8 I had and said "BUILD!!". If they don't, I will pull it after frost and probably drive my bees batty rearranging the furniture.
 I am sure my hives will never be more happy then when I get a bit bored with them......

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:28:48 pm »
Listen to your gut, you got a new queen and they're going to have a hard time keeping up feeding the brood let alone drawing comb.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline trottet1

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:18 pm »
I appreciate all responses, however, I'm gonna go with the experienced opinions on this 1.  Thank you all.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:45 am »
What kind of foundation is it. If it is just wax foundation of they don't need it, they will cut holes all in it. Depends on your area and what kind of flow if any you have left. Someone local may pipe in soon. For me here it is a no- brainier. It is over for the year.
John 3:16

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:21:53 am »
Resist the temptation to add boxes this time of year.  Don't do it.  It has little value and bees won't draw much if any new comb.

As Winter approaches; The objective for you and your bees is to fill every available cell with honey or syrup and get it capped, not force or expect them to build comb which is highly unlikely anyway in the Fall. 

Even with a new queen she will not lay lots of eggs right now.  She knows what's coming  :-D. 

Comb building is not a priority this time of year, filling any and all empty cells with food in anticipation of the coming cold..IS.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline trottet1

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 10:55:43 am »
Thank you.  I kinda had a feeling wintering as a single was the only way.  I was afraid that they would get over crowded.  I failed to realize that the queen will regulate population to accomodate the space.  Thank you for your insight.