Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Mite Treatments  (Read 2303 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Swarm Mite Treatments
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:51:21 am »
What is the best mite treatment and best timing for newly collected swarms?
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Swarm Mite Treatments
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:54:47 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:03:11 am »
My choice would be "none"...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm

Michael,
I've read and studied your site and respect your knowledge a very great deal, but I tried not treating and I lost all sixteen of my colonies this past winter.  I said this in another post, It's like vaccinations: Either every bee colony in the world goes treatment free, sustains unspeakable losses and hopefully reaches balance with the invading pest. OR every colony in the world gets its "vaccinations" until the pest is a thing of the past.  I don't have another answer.  This loss had demoralized me, but I'm coming back.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:08:09 am »
> but I tried not treating and I lost all sixteen of my colonies this past winter.

Are you on large cell foundation?  It was a hard winter for losses (there is another thread with the percentages) for everyone.  I never succeeded in keeping them alive with large cell foundation after Varroa showed up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:17:47 am »

Michael,
I've read and studied your site and respect your knowledge a very great deal, but I tried not treating and I lost all sixteen of my colonies this past winter.  I said this in another post, It's like vaccinations: Either every bee colony in the world goes treatment free, sustains unspeakable losses and hopefully reaches balance with the invading pest. OR every colony in the world gets its "vaccinations" until the pest is a thing of the past.  I don't have another answer.  This loss had demoralized me, but I'm coming back.

So the people who treat with chemicals do not loose hives. :?

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:32:53 am »
Are you on large cell foundation?  It was a hard winter for losses (there is another thread with the percentages) for everyone.  I never succeeded in keeping them alive with large cell foundation after Varroa showed up.
All foundationless.  Let the bees build what they will.  I've read some research on both sides of the cell size debate and from my knowledge the findings are all inconclusive.  Jennifer Berry has done a good deal of research on this. I don't put too much credence on small cell. It is my understanding the data is more anecdotal than scientific.   

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:34:39 am »

Michael,

So the people who treat with chemicals do not loose hives. :?

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:35:38 am »
Michael,

Would you like to comment on my vaccination analogy?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 12:10:29 pm »
>So the people who treat with chemicals do not loose hives.

Of course they do.

>Would you like to comment on my vaccination analogy?

Insects are not people.  Propping up inadequate genetics is not good for the species.  It's probably not good for the human species either, but we have a different set of morals at work with people.  We are not purposefully breeding humans for health and productivity, we allow people their individual freedom to choose such things.
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 12:36:35 pm »
i am not opposed to mite treatment, but there is no reason to treat a swarm.  there is a natural brood break, so there is a natural break in the mite cycle.

whether or not you need to treat that colony later depends on what you find and your desires. 

but I tried not treating and I lost all sixteen of my colonies this past winter.

what makes you think it was mites?  may have been, but to lose all seems a bit odd.  what was your mite count before winter?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 12:49:05 pm »
>So the people who treat with chemicals do not loose hives.

Of course they do.

>Would you like to comment on my vaccination analogy?

Insects are not people.  Propping up inadequate genetics is not good for the species.  It's probably not good for the human species either, but we have a different set of morals at work with people.  We are not purposefully breeding humans for health and productivity, we allow people their individual freedom to choose such things.

Thank you, Michael.  Logical comments and interesting point of view. Obviously, there are many factors at play.  As I said, it was an analogy.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 12:51:00 pm »
i am not opposed to mite treatment, but there is no reason to treat a swarm.  there is a natural brood break, so there is a natural break in the mite cycle.

Thanks, Kathy.  Point well taken.