Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from southwest Michigan  (Read 1998 times)

Offline BeeAngel

• Brood
Hello from southwest Michigan
« on: November 17, 2010, 10:51:04 am »
Hi Everyone, Great site! Im a newbee, very passionate about TBH and organic beekeeping. I got my first package of bees this last spring. My hive actually swarmed once this summer. I have plans of adding 2 more tbh this coming spring!!!! Learning is the best part, second to talking with others of like passions. Going into my first winter with my girls, a wee bit nervous, but Im trying very hard and doing the best I can for them.
Beest of luck to us all.
Spreading the word, one bee at a time :bee:[color=purple[/img][/color]
Bee Angel

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from southwest Michigan
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:27 am »
A swarm from a package, wow.   Welcome to the site.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:28 pm »
BeeAngel, welcome to our forum, that is wonderful you found us.  Entering the secret life of the honeybee, you will soon be held deeper beneath their spell than you could have ever in your wildest dreams imagine.  Take this winter to study more about the bees, which I am sure that you are doing already though.  With your presence on our forum, you can study here too.  There are mountains of informations here, use the search button for any queries that you may want to look into -- and by all means, ask any questions that you so choose as well, we are here.   We were all once upon a time, new to beekeeping too, we asked those questions, and lastly, all questions are important.  Even ones that have kept bees for a long time, learn by the answers that come from questions asked.  Did you get the swarm that swarmed from your package bees?  I think that was kind of interesting that a package of bees swarmed though, they must have been very well built up, that is cool.  Stick around, we love new members.  And...have that most awesomely beautiful and great day, of love, peace, friends and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:26:33 pm »
BeeAngel
where in SW Michigan are you located?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 02:12:10 pm »
Welcome!

Sounds like fun!  I've seen other package hives swarm this year, as well as having a lot of trouble with mine swarming this spring.  Lots of learning to be done....I'm still learning after years of beekeeping, although at a much more moderate pace, now, thankfully.

Take a minute and fill out your location on your profile, beekeeping is so regional and can differ (timing, mostly) significantly over a distance of a few hundred miles.

Rick
Rick

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:37:08 pm »
BeeAngel,

Welcome and a coincidence.  My daughter, her husband and my two grandchildren live in East Grand Rapids, MI.  Are you in the general area?  Just starting my beekeeping this year and will also use the TBH.  I think it's absolutely the right way to enter the bee business from a hobbyist point of view. 
Bruce

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 12:25:13 pm »
Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Were you able to catch the swarm?  I hived a package in May and in early Sept. I was sitting by the hive and after a few minutes just happened to look in the Yaupon just to the side of the hive and there was a small swarm--not 4 feet from the hive and my head.

Of course I hived it and am trying to nurse it through the winter but my other hive has picked on it some (robbed a lot) and it hasn't built up like I hoped it would, even giving it a couple frames of brood and honey from my stronger hive. But we will see.  If it doesn't make it, at least the girls drew out some comb for me to hive another swarm on next spring.

If you haven't gotten into collecting swarms, you should try it.  It is fun.  Tons of videos on the YouTube of people doing it, and great videos here of JP and Schawee doing their thing.

Be sure and learn to use the search feature of this site to look up about anything related to beekeeping you want.  You will find plenty of discussions on just about everything bee.
linda d