Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees vs. Bear  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Bees vs. Bear
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:06:50 pm »
Some of you might remember me from way back, but I haven't been on this forum for a very long time.
I've been having some major bee trouble the past couple years.  I started out back in 06 with just one hive and worked my way up to 7.  But it's been a constant loosing battle.
I lost my first 3 hives due to starvation after a very cold and wet spring.  The following year I lost two hives to foulbrood.  And then I lost my last two for reasons unknown.  Just empty hives after winter was over.
I was too depressed to put those two empty hives away and left them out until last summer.  Luck was on my side and swarms moved into both empty hives!  So I let the swarms build up and I left them alone.
Well those two hives did great and everything looked perfect.  Until one night last October, I went out to feed my rabbits and put the chickens away and heard a snorting sound and twigs cracking.  I looked over by my hives with a flashlight and noticed the fence pushed over and those last two healthy hives scattered across the yard.  Oh yeah, and it was pouring rain and about 38 degrees out.
One hive looked completely dead and the other had some life but were soaked and not moving much.  After arming myself with my old 45LC Peacemaker, I stacked everything back up and repaired the fence.
Well I've just figured they wouldn't make it and I was about to put all my beekeeping equipment up for sale on craigslist.  But just 2 days ago we finally had a warm day and that hive was still alive!!!!  Not just alive, but there are new eggs in the brood chamber!!!
So I'm still here, gunna give it one more shot.
Wish me luck!!!  Pray for swarms and a good long summer!!!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Bees vs. Bear
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:16:43 pm »
Has anyone had any success against bears by putting electric fencing around the bees? Those fences can pack a wallop.
If it weren't for my dogs, I think somebody's pig would trash mine.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »
Electric fences to keep out bears and their cousin the pig work well.  You just have to built them correctly and ground them well

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:37:46 pm »
Lead implantation therapy works well too.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:57:44 pm »
Lead implantation therapy works well too.

:jerry: :jerry:

anything