Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small queen or big workers?  (Read 3701 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Small queen or big workers?
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:37:43 am »

It seems like my workers have gotten really big lately.  Good thing she's marked or I would never spot her when she hides like that.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Small queen or big workers?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:32:48 am »
She's on the bottom of the pile, while the bigger looking bees are on the top and closer, so they look bigger.  If you compare her to some of the other bees down low, she is very distinguishable.

Yes, markings do make them easier to find,  especially this time of the year when the population is booming and the bees are 2-3 layers deep.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:22:03 am »
She's on the bottom of the pile, while the bigger looking bees are on the top and closer, so they look bigger.  If you compare her to some of the other bees down low, she is very distinguishable.

Yes, markings do make them easier to find,  especially this time of the year when the population is booming and the bees are 2-3 layers deep.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to learn how to mark queens I think.   No kidding though it really does seem like my workers are bigger lately, even when you just see them going in and out.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline yaser al khuja

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:31:09 am »
Where the source of the Queen
yk

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:12:28 pm »
Where the source of the Queen

It came from Rossman Apiaries in Georgia USA.  She came along with a mail order package of Italian bees this spring.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:19 pm »
I just picked up a mated New World Carniolan queen this morning and she is much smaller than my other queens.
I was surprised when I looked in the cage and my husband asked the guy if it was mated and he said oh yeah for sure, absolutely.
I have no reason to doubt this man, he has been very good to me and we have done alot of business in the past and I have gotten other queens from him. I am just wondering if anyone is seeing smaller queens lately or if it makes any difference.
She is not as long as my other queens.
He raises survivor stock so I don't know if this would make a difference or if she could be so newly mated that she isn't as big yet. I am not complaining, just curious.
I am going to give her a go and see how she does for a while.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:42:41 pm »
Natalie,

It is quite common for new queens to seem small, especially if they are shipped and haven't laid for a few days.  It also depends on the size of the hive she came from.  If it is a small mating nuc, that doesn't have a huge population of bees to support a ton of brood,  she will remain small and only lay what they can support.   Once she gets into a booming hive,  she will get nice and fat real quick.  It still amazes me at time how quick she will fatten up.

I just delivered 2 queens this morning from mating nucs and they paled in size compared to their sisters that went into full sized hives.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:11:21 pm »
Thank you Robo, you are right she did come from a small mating nuc so that would explain it.
I put her into a quite a good size hive so it will be interesting to watch her change.
You learn something new every day. ;)

anything