Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Crisp Pickles????????  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Daddy-T

• New Bee
Crisp Pickles????????
« on: July 14, 2005, 01:08:57 am »
We need help with Pickles. We are being over run with cucumbers and would like to pickle them so they are crispy. Would anyone have a recipe for them? I know nothing about pickling, or canning...........

Thanks,
               Tim :oops:
Pass it on to the kids

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Crisp Pickles????????
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 08:39:40 am »
Daddy-T,

I have a great recipe for relish, turns out good and makes several pints if you're interested, I'll dig it up.

I didn't have much luck with my regular pickles last year, turned mushy, but I have a 9 day recipe I'm considering for this year.  Let me know which ones you're interested in and I"ll type them up for you.

You won't need much to can them, just some jars and lids and rings and a pot big enough to cover them with water.  Pickles need just a short processing time in the canner, just 15 minutes or so.

You can also go to your local store and look for the Ball Blue Book which has instructions for canning as well as a ton of canning recipes in it. They put out a new one every year or two.  

Now that this has come up, I might put up a post with things you need to can with.

Offline Daddy-T

• New Bee
Pickels
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 06:58:48 pm »
Thanks Amy,
                  My wife did some last year and they too turned out mushy....LOL I would like to try the 9 day if you could? Hop all is well in you corner of the world.

Tim
Pass it on to the kids

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
Crisp Pickles????????
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 11:02:59 pm »
Sorry this took so long, I've been on vacation, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of cukes to try this out on: This is from a book called "Small Batch Preserving"

Nine Day Icicle Pickles

Ingredients:
2 Quarts Pickling Cukes 4-6 inches long
4 Cups Boiling Water
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 Cups White Vinegar
3 Cups Granulated Sugar, divided
1 TBSP pickling spice

Directions:

Days 1-3: Cut a thing slice from the ends of each cucumber. Cut cucumbers lengthwise into quarters. Cut each quarter crosswise in half. Please in a large non-reactive container.  Combine boiling water and salt; pour over cucumbers. Place a weight such as a plate on top of cucumbers to keep them submerged. Stir once a day for 3 days.

Day 4: Drain cucumbers and discard liquid. Cover cucumbers with fresh boiling water. Replace weight and let stand for 24 hours.

Day 5: Drain cukes and discard liquid. Cover cukes with fresh boiling water. Replace weight and let stand for 24 hours.

Day 6: Drain cukes and discard liquid.  Prepare a brine: combine vinegar  and 1.5 cups sugar in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Pleace pickling spice in a large tea ball or tie in a piece of cheesecloth; add to saucepan.  Bring to a full boil over high heat. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 24 hours

Day 7: Drain brine into a large saucepan; add 1/2 cup sugar. Bring to a full boil over high heat. Pour over pickles and let stand for 24 hours.

Day 8: Repeat day 7 adding a 1/2 cup sugar to the brine.

Day 9: Drain brine into large saucepan and add 1/2 cup sugar.Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove hot jars from canner and pack pickles into jars. Pour hot brine over pickles to within 1/2 inch of rim. Process 10 minutes for pints and quarts.

Offline Daddy-T

• New Bee
Thanks, Amy
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 09:16:05 am »
Thanks Amy
We will have to get ours going and see how they do.....
 :)
Pass it on to the kids

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
Crisp Pickles????????
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 02:34:01 pm »
Let me know, my cukes aren't ready yet.