Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: scouts and swarms  (Read 1934 times)

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
scouts and swarms
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:18:49 pm »
Ive noticed that when a certain wind is blowing, a client of mine has scouts checking out one side of her house everyday.  Swarm box setup. If the wind turns around, they are gone.  this has been going on for two months.  do bees fly into the wind or with the wind?  Take ducks for example, they land into the wind, but migrate with the wind..  Im trying to correlate wind direction with possible hive location?  anyone ever paid attention to it?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: scouts and swarms
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:27:35 pm »
I would think it has more to do with the scent coming off the house, or maybe the time of the day when the sun is hitting a "sweet spot" for the bees.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:14:06 pm »
i have noticed about 2 miles away to the ne, a house with 10 hives visible in the backyard.. they are not in the best shape and are leaning somewhat..  the bees now checking out the trap are flying to the ne, and the wind is dead out of the sw.  that has to be it. they are just following the scent of the lgo to upwind?

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:17:08 pm »
on similar note, had three calls this am, all large swarms (which are my favorite because they draw comb so fast), by 3:30 all three had called back saying they were gone.. thats when the wind switched and picked up to 20mph.  its about to go down tomorrow..lol